My experiences with Linux thus far

From the very beginning my journey with Linux has been that of trial and error from different distros not wanting to install and finally being a able to get one of the distros to actually work, for me in a sense it almost felt like fate like hey this we were made for eatch other and welcome aboard type of feeling. That distro for me happened to be OpenSUSE I originally installed tumbleweed and I asked you guys on multiple questions which probably in your mind was very rudimentary lol, after talking with @PhaseLockedLoop he convinced me to switch to leap so I made the switch and from that moment I thought this great I made the mistake of thinking it was windows and well I quickly learned it is not. OpenSUSE would not provide me with a partition schematic so I had to take a day and do my homework and ask the good people here on the forums to make a educated guess on how to partition on my own I am officially on leap 42.2 now soon I think will be upgrading in 6 days to 42.3....
Now that I am on leap I find the user experience is quite enjoyable but once again this is not windows. From the moment I attempted to watch a YouTube vid. I had no audio so back to the wiki I went and did homework learned that I need to install the pulseaudio mixer to be able to get sound. From there I have been taking small strides trying to figure out things using the FOSS method. I am purposely attempting to try and stay away from proprietary anything.
So from there proceeded to install steam and play nothing but Linux games ( steam crashes) need to find a fix.
Discord was able to install it ( no audio) I was told by a friend I sound like garbage so need to fix that.
I still need to configure a printer.
Figure out a way to watch twitch.
Install a VM program..
Anyways my point is that with all these challenges and headaches I am actually learning the system I have this overwhelming sensation that you know what this is what freedom is. This is what feels like to have a machine actually be yours. it feels good.

6 Likes

this is why i recommend Gecko Linux for OpenSUSE, and Korora for Fedora. they're the same distros, with all of the faffing about with codec installing and other such extremely petty tasks the original distros leave out, taken care of.

1 Like

I have to admit korora looks cool.

Fedora has been a dream for me. I had issues from time to time with the Nvidia driver from some repositories but there is a way to get a good experience with it. Aside from that it is very polished. Installing VLC brings in all the codecs I need so that tightens that up. It's a great experience.

2 Likes

Not going to lie me and fedora don't have a great relationship for example I checked out the live disk I have a screen with no file system and mouse freeze lol and that is not even from being on my system.

I had a very similar experience, over the last few months. My Laptop every ditstro I have tried works perfectly, my desktop on the other has keeps having problems of not wanting to boot using UEFI from usb to install, so I can dual boot with windows 10. Can not seem to fix it, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

This is where I am at as well it is great feeling to know how your system work. Nice to see other people in the same transition as myself.

2 Likes

Lol nobody has a great experience the first time with fedora but it teaches you a lot about how Linux works that's for sure

2 Likes

I don't give people the easy way.. I'm all about DAT hard knocks schooling haha. In reality opensuse is a good way to force somebody to understand partition layouts in Linux.. Because @Akaenian had to do his homework I can almost guarantee he knows more and has retained more then he would just making a few clicks on an install screen

2 Likes

I agree.. I started on fedora core... Man that was hell but once it worked.. Ohhhhh once it worked

2 Likes

Dual booting made me learn about partitions. First time I was packing myself, freaking out I was going to lose all my documents etc in Windows.
I know I should have backed up, but yeah. Good learning lol.
I learned a lot using Arch, openSUSE tumbleweed in my desktop these days. Same /home, loved when I found out that it retains program settings there even if I nuke / and jam another distro on it.

1 Like

That's what gets me when I installed fedora core 4 way back in the day you had to learn the separate partitioning stuff and literally the reason home was always separate was data recovery and multi boot use lol.. Plus its just good practice to compartmentalize data and not put all the eggs in one basket... Hahah I was fucking around once which resulted inna very fast but buggy suse setup.. 5 hard drives.. Different partition on each for different Linux area.. Needless to say I had to disable hard disk power down to make it work right haha.. So many freezes then bursts of massive speed.. In was just fucking around though

1 Like

that's fair and all if they're doing it for educational purposes. if they're wanting to just use their computers, however, extra wanking about with trivial things like having to install codecs is pretty much just a headache that can be avoided.

In what way? Just that you need to add some other repos for nvidia &| media codecs?

1 Like

Eden how long have you used fedora or what was your earliest distro version.. I'm not trying to make it a pissing contest its a useful question because when I was on fedora core it kinda was harder then that especially aroumdnthe transition period in technology around the xp to vista time.. As things rapidly developed it was a fairly buggy and interesting period

Fedora Core 4 if I remember right. I was more applying the statement to what people would use today.

I like to speak about a distro as a whole I guess we misunderstood each other.. Today pretty much every common or heavily used distro is cake.. Fedora breaks more often then suse so that's why I use suse its more stable and I need a reliable distro lol and yeah I started on fc4 too

I didn't have any problems with Fedora when I first used it, of course I installed in a virtual Machine that might be the reason. The only program I couldn't get installed correctly was Plex, but I blame to lack of clear instruction on how to install Plex on Fedora for that problem.

This is what Linux is about. Learning, and becoming self sufficient.

You kids have it too easy. I was downloading teledisk images from BBSs in 1993 to install Slackware.

1 Like

When I install Leap 42.1 the KDE gui I get is the black one like in this picture. But I would like to have the start menu look like the white version. Is there a setting to change that?

@Grim_Reaper Right click on the desktop anywhere that is open. Click configure desktop. Click desktop theme. I forgot the name but should be second one down click on it and look for light theme click apply it change it.