My ethical dilemma with certain bands

The way I feel about it is that it generally doesn't matter. Music is a form of expression, and you're allowed to appreciate and enjoy an artist's expression without sharing their values or moral standards. It's the same way I feel about sports. I'm allowed to appreciate one's athletic endeavors without supporting the actions they perform in their personal life (see: domestic abuse, drug use, etc.)

1 Like

Ya facism is a modern creation that arise in the modern era because of the developement of the mean of communication that could allow a greater control. If you want to know more about facism read books by Hannah Arendt, she's pretty the one that coined the term and the dynamics behind it.

Well nazism is a form of facism.

Ya, myself I'm surprised by how many people are saying to keep an open mind. But hey I think we are now that day and ages of losers, weaks and being of resentments without any spine has we can see with the election of Trump and rise of populism. Nietzsche would be rolling in his grave if I would see those weaks.

facepalm

had me tell there, trump was to me a back lash to many things, populism isn't on the rise imo....... it never left

1 Like

Well people started invoking trump so this thread has officially entered ideological argument phase. It will be only a matter of time before it gets shut down.

Tempting for me to start making a list of how people lean because its getting pretty obvious where people lean by how they react to certain key words.

Oh, for the love of fuck. @NetBandit made a very good point. And ultimately, it's about the music. If it sounds good, listen to it. Especially if it's Metal. Metal's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. It's the most technically complicated music in the world, yet suffers in terms of composition because 99% of bands don't know how to make anything that doesn't sound like it came out of the copy mill.

They have Nazi-themed lyrics? Who gives a flying fuck. Political principals are all pretentious, meaningless bullshit, anyway. But referencing NetBandit again, he again - made a very good point to be mindful of. The man from Moscow sells a MiG. The man from the U.S. sells a Lockheed Martin plane. WHO GIVES A FUCK! Now if they were outlandish, juvenile little fucks and sang of pure negativity, then I'd say "ok". But otherwise? Enjoy.

2 Likes

I've never been interested in lyrics. I was never the type of person to pour over liner notes and analyze each line. For me, the sound of the vocals and not what's being said is usually more important. I've always been much more interested in the music behind the lyrics and the sound the musicians create specifically. It is a bonus if the vocals sound good or appeal to my ear. A very high percentage of the time, the sound of the vocals alone are what kill my interest in a band. I can't count how many bands I've found that would have been amazing without vocals at all.

1 Like

I have been a punk for my whole life and there has always been a very real problem with having a nazi band open up for your favorite band. Usually the crowd just descends into a frothy madness and screams the band off the stage... Why the hell are so many of you freaks saying "just give white nationalism a chance" "PC culture can't tell you what to do" "Hitler didn't do nothin' wrong"? Its not like the band is being "edgy" or "anti-PC" they're just fucking nazi's and I'd stomp their faces in just as soon as I saw them.

1 Like

I've been asked how I can support Burzum knowing how he feels about certain ethnic groups, I always respond by saying that his political views in no way affect his music. I'm okay with giving him my money because it can be used to make more music, which I will probably enjoy. If the lyrics are very obviously NS, then it gets more personal, are you going to let the politics affect your enjoyment of the art?

Edit: So after researching the band and listening to some of their music I don't see the NS beliefs reflected within the music itself but certainly within how the band presents themselves, especially live, source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUl0nAVGMH4

It comes with the territory. Metal is not a "polite" genre. As for supporting a band, if you like the music support it. You can respect a work of art without agreeing with its statement or the artists political view.

I listen to a lot of music based around vikings. Who raped, pillaged, enslaved, and killed tons of people. I dont condone or support that behavior but I like the story and music.