My Devember project, book scanning!

I, Omega Alpha Psi, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be to improve an Android app that scans bar-codes and then searches intelligently on library genesis. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

Okay with the pact out of the way, my Devember post relates to a “utility” that I plan to improve. I already have the POC in python, but this isn’t on Android. My plan is to have a scrapper take an ISBN from the back of a book bar code and automatically go to the best book to download from library genesis (and mirrors). Now people have already implemented such things on github, but never a fully coherent one that pulls together all the disparate scrappers into something worth a damn, I plan to make something from scratch. No one automatically takes the pdfs off with a single scan and sort it all without any user finagling with opening a website automatically in their chosen browser. The true challenge comes with learning to traverse JSON in java, and have it put in as a map. There is a number of challenges outside of that which I must conquer to make this app, that particular one stands out in my mind. Both fear and excitement go through with what I’ll have by the new year. Potentially nothing, potentially a highly upvoted post on r/Piracy. Either way I’m happy to participate.

TL;DR: Devember project is scanning books then downloading them through an Android app

-Omega

6 Likes

Best of luck bro.

cool project! :sunglasses:
Not so sure about library genesis but maybe you could make an option that looks up the book in online stores or other resources and shows pricing information or orders the book from the local library. :wink:

@omega_alpha_psi we’re all itching for updates. Lay it on us fam!

1 Like

Maybe he did the same thing as me…
Day 1 ZZZzzz…
Day 2 ZZZzzz…
Day 3 ZZZzzz…
Day 4 - fuck, I had stuff to do…

1 Like

Fuck, some other family shits happened, but I’ll start now.

1 Like

Called it…

1 Like

Pot calling the kettle black…

2 Likes

I don’t get that…
My comment wasn’t meant as an insult or something… I just know that it’s difficult sometimes to keep up with side stuff…

1 Like

Not sure why you made a new thread but in that case, let me link that here for you :wink: