Multiple VMs sharing a single GPU

So I was wondering, would a single Nvidia Quadro GPU be able to support multiple VMs (2-4) for things such as transcoding? Or is this the territory reserved for a Tesla card?

Specific Quadros and Teslas

See this list:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200929181607/https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/gpus-supported-by-vgpu.html

Also, you have to pay a subscription for the guest software, and set up a licensing server.

You are probably going to be required to get the vDWS version, although the GRIDvPC might work. vDWS is currently $250 per concurrent VM per year, or $450 initial per VM + $100 per year per VM

Also, you will need to pay for the enterprise version of the hypervisor, at least with VMware and Zen, and Proxmox as well AFAIK.

This video has great info.

2 Likes

On a preliminary note, aw fuck, I only have an RTX 4000 and its not on that list. I knew I should have probably sprung for a T4 instead.

I’ll give the video a watch. Thanks for the info!

All of these hoops are why people where so excited about the rumors that Nvidia was supporting proper SR-IOV on all 3000 series cards.

Also, AMD, although it does have SR-IOV support on some cards, it is not really usable unless you have Microsoft levels of money.
See this thread:

I’m not holding my breath. Did L1 / Wendel qualify for a freebie RTX 3080/3090 from nVidia?

Maybe Linus will get around to testing it, although maybe the contracts placed limits on what exactly could be tested?

It was confirmed right around the 3080 launch that the rumors where false, and it was a marketing materials screwup.

If you watched his review; he did, and it is not enabled.
Start at timestamp:

2 Likes

Try hyper-V remote-FX, it can dynamically divvy up gpu resources which is far better than simply sharding them like what vmware does. Plus you can hack it to work on regular GPU’s not just the over priced server crap, and its free.

COUGH

Uh, hi, hello, nvidia grid.

That is all.

Sadly this is a deprecated feature, no longer actively developed by Microsoft, and also removed from their latest OS builds (client and server.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.