Multiple Video Cards

I have an Nvidia card, and a newer AMD video card.

I run Linux and Windows.

I’m having issues with Linux and the AMD card. But with the Nvidia card I don’t have any problems. Would it be possible to have both the Nvidia card and the AMD card in my system? Would I be able to have Linux exclusively use the Nvidia card, and Windows use the AMD card exclusively?

You might need a newer kernel for Linux. Which card and which kernel are you using? If you’re not sure which kernel, send us the output of the following command:

uname -r

Yes, but you probably just need drivers.

Yes, you can blacklist the AMD drivers and the card will never be used.

That might be a bit trickier. Windows likes to see everything, always. This is an area I’m not as familiar with, so perhaps someone else could chime in there.

I believe you can disable the nvidia GPU in device manager.

2 Likes

Just don’t install both drivers. Install only the nvidia driver on Linux and the AMD driver on Windows. Alternatively you can disable GPUs like @SgtAwesomesauce said, but what’s the point of having the driver installed for a component you don’t use anyway?

On the windows side, I’ve found that the OS will automatically install drivers regardless. I haven’t found a way to avoid this, but that’s probably due to lack of trying.

1 Like

Under System Properties.

Advanced System Settings > System Properties > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings > Never check when I connect a device

Works for printers. God damn Windows Update was overriding our print server.

1 Like

I’d like to introduce you to my friend, CUPS. Runs on a PI, supports integration with AD, doesn’t break like windows.

shitposting aside, printing has gotten miles better on Linux recently. Might be worth checking out.

I’ve just noticed that Solus supports automatic installation of printers when you connect to a network. Really cool, but I’m curious about the security implications of this.

1 Like

Fortunately, my days of being a Windows admin are gone, gone, GONE!

Agree that CUPS is awesome! Works wonders in an environment sprinkled with Macs as well.

You’re not lying about the Linux printing. I’ve installed Ubuntu 17.10 and my Epson WF connects immediately. On Debian Stretch and Fedora 25, 26 it was as simple as entering the IP of the printer.

I remember hacking drivers, years ago to get just one page to print! As long as you did one page, you were set. Multiple copies of a single page or a multi-page document? You’d better run downstairs before it catches fire…

Yep.

I remember needing to print only once every 3 or 4 months, which means that by the time my next print job came up, I’d hopped distros. :smiley:

1 Like