Multicast IPTV blocked by pfSense

After installing a new pfSense box in place of my old router my set-top box is not able to connect to the multicast group. I've tried to google the error that it gives as well as tried every method I've found to let IPTV and multicast through pfSense. My family has been without TV for a few days now so all help is appreciated.

1 Like

My guess is it's wanting to use UPnP
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/What_are_UPnP_and_NAT-PMP

It has been turned on but it hasn't helped.

Can you be more specific about how it works? Is the iptv on a different VLAN to your internet or is it all the same thing?

On the firewall I assume you have the default allow any to any rule? If you do edit that rule and go to advanced options then check the box for 'allow IP options'.

Who is your tv service provider?

I don't know how standardized IPTV is, but GTAV on PC was what pushed me off PFSense. I fiddled with the NAT options, posted here and got responses, disabled port scrambling, firewall settings, and all that and I still couldn't get in other people's games. We have 3 people in the house playing the game at the same time, trying to get into the same lobby. I think GTAV was doing something stupid when multiple people were playing that PFSense wasn't dealing with correctly.

We never tried with just one person, but I dinked around with it for a few weeks and came up with nothing. I miss everything else about PFSense, but I think it might not deal with poorly written protocols well. This may be a design decision or videogame testing not being a priority for enterprise software. Either way, GTAV killed it for me.

Keep trying, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me to fiddle with shit for hours just to play games. It's why I don't do SLI/CF and ran 200ft of ethernet cable instead of buying wifi cards. I've got a nice PFSense box collecting dust with quad intel NICs, SSD, 35W power draw. If you find yourself sinking considerable time into it and getting nowhere, I think you may have to pick between IPTV and PFSense. You could try the x86 versions of DDWRT or OpenWRT, even just for testing purposes. Probably not as secure, definitely missing some convenience and flexibility, but if the fucking thing works that's all that matters. You're no less secure than your ISP's modem/router combo no matter what route you pick, and you'll have all your hair.

Go into your Firewall logs and turn on the 'Log packets matched from the default block rules in the ruleset' this will help you find anything being blocked make sure to turn it off when you are done.

I did then when I was having issues with my Chromecast not working after installing pfsense worked out I needed to allow 224.0.0.0