Multi Monitor Mystery

I recently got a second monitor to use with my laptops(r7 4700u) usb-c dock and am unable to use both at there full resolutions. I have a 4k monitor and a 1080p monitor. If I try to set one monitor to 4k I can’t enable the other one at all. I get this error in dmesg

[ 199.157841] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: 00000000d98c083e pin failed
[ 199.157851] [drm:dm_plane_helper_prepare_fb [amdgpu]] ERROR Failed to pin framebuffer with error -12

But if I set the 4k monitor to 1080p I can use both. I should be able to use both at there max resolutions according to the usb-c docks product page. Unfortunately I don’t have a windows laptop to test with. Any suggestions?

• Triple Display for Windows: Only support the Triple display for Windows(including laptop display). 3840x2160 output only available when using HDMI or DP display or mirror the three displays. In extend mode, each will be limited to a maximum resolution of 1080P.

This reads like multi monitor configurations are limited to 1080p each, 4k is only available with a single display.

1 Like

Thanks. i must have over looked that.

I don’t think you’ll find a dock that can do 2 4k screens in that price range, hell even with 1 monitor they only do 4k30 which is a huge red flag. I think you’re going to need to look in the 150-200 price range for something that does 2x 4k60. Even if you don’t need 2, I don’t think you’ll find a dock that does 1 4k60 + any other monitor that doesn’t do up to 4k60 on that other monitor. Unless you’re fine with 4k30, but god 30Hz sucks so hard even for general computing tasks.

Yeah. I’ve been ok with 4k30 so far. Trade off was intentional. From what I read with the version of usbc on my laptop you either can do high res display or fast usb not both and being a few year old amd system theres no thunderbolt option.

What laptop do you have exactly, I’m wondering if they cheaped out on the display and it can only handle a single 4k30 monitor. I checked the r7 4700u product page to make sure it wasn’t some sort of inherent limit, which it didn’t say, but it had an example HP laptop the chip came in, and that DID have a single HDMI port that maxed out at 4k30…

Something like this MIGHT work if linux displaylink support is better, the MFG says it’s not supported but user reviews indicate it’s functional https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Usb-Laptop-Docking-Station-Dual-Monitor-Hdmi-Ethernet/dp/B07CRSH25X/ or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YTQBXM/ they uses a USB3 graphics solution so it’s not the best, definitely not for gaming, also uses a lot of CPU, but I’ve used the dell version for work to add extra 4k60 monitors in the past and it was fine, other than a bit high CPU usage (like >50% at idle all the time)

I’ve got a 13in hp envy x360 with the r7 4700u. Don’t remember the exact model number off of the top of my head.

That error might not be due to your specs. There are amdgpu driver bugs open that cause that error in the log. I’m seeing them on my iGPU in my 7950x AMD processor. Here are two bugs for the same issue, does this match what you see?

Yeah they look similar the error I’m getting when I try to enable my second monitor but they aren’t exactly the same. I’ll have to check journalctl the next time I plug that monitor in and attach it here. In my case it doesn’t cause my system to freeze so can keep on using it. Nor is it related to suspend or any specific application. On Xorg I simply can’t enable the monitor but on Wayland all displays go black as soon as I plug it in and stay that way until i unplug it. But the machine thinks the screens are being rendered to, as I can still interact with applications even if I can’t see them.

That error might not be due to your specs. There are amdgpu driver bugs open that cause that error in the log.technologitouch I’m seeing them on my iGPU in my 7950x AMD processor. Here are two bugs for the same issue, does this match what you see?
laptop

New behavior now entering/exiting full screen videos causes a similar pin error. Not sure whats going on with the driver recently. Never had the full screen issues with the 5 series of kernels.