MSI X99S SLI PLUS Problems Memory Incompatibility and OC issues?

Hello everybody,

I have been having several problems with my pc for awhile even when running at stock or using OC Genie. I would like to compile all my issues in one thread in hopes I can get people who have the same board to give me some advice. :D

So when running idle or using OC genie I get BSOD sometimes, the BSOD specifically are irql_less_than_or_equal_to and once for cpuz_186x. I unstalled my cpuz as I thought that was the reason. I only overclocked using oc genie and its not even a great overclock (3.8Ghz 1.049v). My event log shows that most error occurs at these sources: DistributedCOM and Service Control Manager.

So my specs:

SPECS:
5960x (3.7~3.8Ghz at 1.049v)
Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
850 pro sdd (128GB)
WD Blue HDD (1TB)
Lots of external storage
GTX 970 G1
MSI X99S Sli Plus
1000G2 eVGA PSU

I ran a memtest and the results as followed:

As you can see no errors. It could be that OC genie is bad so I disabled it but no changes I sometimes still get BSOD. Then the next interesting part, I usually during my school year/work term run ANSYS and do alot of heavily cpu intensive mesh generation/real time mesh rendering, I also do simulations as well. i noticed that sometimes the software (ANSYS) lags so I got advice from my co-workers/boss/professors to use faster processors if available. I then proceeded to attempt overclocking my i7. Upon further research I found out that majority run around 4.5Ghz at 1.3v, I noticed that at stock full load my i7 uses less voltages than most i7 (besides the one that have overclocked more), so I thought I have a good chip. The problem is windows won't boot if I put in any clockrate with 1.3v. It took in overclocks when I increased BLK but still the vcore shown in the bios is different than in windows. Sometimes windows won't boot giving me BSOD such as stack overflow, kernel error etc. I got these OC settings to boot but not stable:

Setting 1:

Setting 2:

but it won't stay stable, what I find weird is i can overclock higher with less voltages in the BIOS (accept when I try to go over 4.7Ghz while forcing it at 1.3v) but sometimes it won't boot into windows (gives me BSOD) or it boots but shows different voltages then that of the bios.

So what am I doing wrong, is it my processor? motherboard? ram? Note that in the bios it shows the ram running at 2133mhz but in memtest or even in windows it clocked lower, and my motherboard doesnt even show a XMP button either. I have upgraded to the newest bios as well.

Im confused? :huh:

See that is the thing, with OC genie I get around 3.7Ghz at 1.049v under load, ram doesn't change.

Here are a couple of pics:

At stock:

Overclock (45 core ratio with vcore set to 1.292v):

This boots perfectly with Hwinfo showing ~4.5Ghz running at Vcore: 1.2941v:

Overclock 2 (46 core ratio with vcore set to 1.292v):

This does not boot to windows showing BSOD: kernel_security_check_faiiliure

Overclock 3 ([email protected] and 36 core ratio running at Vcore:1.292v):

This boots into windows and hwinfo shows:

Overlock 4 ([email protected] and 37 core ratio running at Vcore:1.291v):

This doesnt boot into windows with a BSOD: kernel_security_check_failiure.

For all cases DRAM frequency stays at 2000mhz for some reason. For the succesful boot I geting a current temperature of 50*c avg while I am typing this up with all the background processes running.

Stop using auto OC programs and do it manually.

I did a manual overclock as you can see on my pictures, the problem is I get a Driver_Overrun_Stack_Buffer BSDO when running Aida....

uefi up to date? fully? I just finished up on the top-end skylake MSI board and the new UEFI is night and day different for OC than the one it shipped with.

Using DDR4-3200 and an i7, but this is Z170 not X99.

Vcore isn't the only voltage that matters, when you do baseclock especially.
Put the cpu input voltage to 1.9, google it if you're unsure what it is.
Cache voltage can be 1.0, and up the system agent voltage some as well. with about 100mv

My settings on my 5820k are as follows, they're the same chip but just 2 less cores.
vcore 1.17v 4.4ghz. 125 baseclock.
Vinput/cpu input voltage 1.9.
Cache voltage 1.05.
System agent is 0.9.

It is version 1.8 (180) so it is the newest on the MSI website

So I should be playing around with V ring as well?

I am new to overclocking so for msi boards what should I be looking for? As well, my ram doesn't always run at 2133mhz, and I can't find the option to run XMP, maybe my ram frequency is effecting my cpu oc? It runs at such low voltage at stock, im surprised it can't oc around 4.5 or up :(

well 4.7GHz on a 5960X? i think thats a bit enthusiastic...
i think if you are able to reach 4.5Ghz on all 8 cores you will be very lucky.

Next to that, if you have stability issues with ram overclocking, you could try to slightly up the SA voltage.
Big con of this particular mobo is that it does not feuture the so called OC socket.
And its not the best overclockers board either.

I´m totaly not suprised that you cant get your 5960X above 4.5GHz at all.
We allready talk about a 1.5GHz OC from stock,
thats allready a big achievement for a Haswell cpu, especialy the 8 core part.

1 Like

I got Aida 64 to run for 10 min no crash on 36 core ratio at 125.03Blck running a 1.297vcore with memory running at 2666mhz. Unfortunately at full load (which I always reach due to running simulations alot) one core peaked at 88 degree C. So does that mean my processor is a capable oc'er but I am gimped by thermals and board? Since I assume I would get more clockrate if I had the so called "oc socket"?