MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Hi

So I decided to go AMD for my next build

I am not sure if 2700X or 2600X, but I will be upgrading, whenever the Zen2 are released (And the price has dropped a bit)

Now I need a mainboard that supports the new CPU and I like fast RAM speeds (and i want to OC my RAM), so I think X470 is the way to go here.

At the moment the store, where I buy most of my hardware has a offer on the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. It is 170 CHF (about the same as USD) instead of 210 CHF that it normally costs.

I am actually a ASUS guy, always recommended ASUS boards and all my builds have ASUS boards.

Now is the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon worth it?
Are there other boards, that can be recommended? (My budget is 300$ max for a mainboard )

The PC is for gaming and OC only.

Would pay the premium for Zen2, with gaming being your main use case if it cost $20 more for Zen2 over Zen+ most likely with the rumors that are out it will be worth that extra $$$

1 Like

Here you go… all you could ever want to know about that board:

2 Likes

Well in my honnest opinion although Buildzoid is kinda positive about the,
Msi X470 gaming pro carbon, cause they use some reasonable low rds ON onsemi 4C029 and 4C024 mosfets on the vrm.
In my opinion for a premium board its still a bit cheapish.

I would go with a Asrock X470 Taichi or Taichi ultimate instead without a doubt.
Which is using significantly better powerstages, Ti nexfets CSD78350’s.

Memory overclocking well don’t stare to blind on that.
with two stick’s of decent samsung B-die memory you likely would get 3400mhz stable with nice tight timings.
But with 4 sticks, then 3200mhz at best probably likely.
Some boards do better then others with certain memory kits.
But Ryzen in general isnt really the best overclocking platform really.
Wenn it comes to overclocking, nothing is really guaranteed in general.
Thatś why reviewers who post overclocking benchmarks are pretty useless.

1 Like

The Taichi is 215 CHF and the MSI Carbon is 170 CHF

Would you spend the extra money ? Is the Bios any good on the ASROCK Taichi? (video)

Asrock Taichi boards are pretty decent.
The asrock bios has some area’s that still could be improved on,
Like wording certain things descriptions a bit better.
But in my opinion it is not a bad bios at all.
It has all the base features you would need.
And the bios improves with its updates.

In my opinion the Msi bios isn’t really that fancy either.
Although Msi did add offset voltage mode to their bios recently.
Which is basically a must have.
I’m personally not a huge fan of Msi’s click bios, but i definitely like to see them having added support for offset.

But i can understand the price difference in your area might put you off from the Asrock Taichi.
Of couse there are also other decent boards you could choose from.

Still need to update the topic, but busy.

Asus X470 prime pro or Asus X470-F strix also pretty decent boards.
The Msi X470 Gaming pro carbon is basically not a bad board at all.
The vrm is fine for Ryzen, so it isnt really a concern at all.
But in certain countries the Msi board and the Asrock Taichi non ultimate are similar in price.
And in that case i would personally prefer the Asrock.

1 Like

So the reviewer who posts overclocking bench marks is useless? So a reviewer says hey… this score is normal clocks, then this is what we got with our chip at XXX volts and XXX OC, and here is a couple more different voltages and OC’s we did is a useless reviewer?

So you would pay the extra 20% for the Taichi ? The Taichi would look much nicer (optical) in my system :wink: but is also the price/value better then the MSI one.

• MSI 169 $
  • ASROCK 215 $

I didn’t say that a reviewer who posts overclocking benchmarks is a useless reviewer.
I just say that overclocking review numbers cannot really be used as a golden standard.
Overclocking is simply not guaranteed and there for those numbers cannot really be used as a valid benchmarks.
It is generally an indication of what the said reviewer was managed to get out of their particular setups.
But itś not a guarantee that you would be able to manage to get the same numbers out of it,
Even if you buy the same hardware.
Thats why OC benchmarks are kinda useless, but interesting to look at what is potentially possible out of a said setup.

Stock out of the box benchmarks are the valid benchmarks that should be used in comparisons.
Because that is pretty much the performance you can expect out of the box.

Same counts for gpu’s, you can buy two exact the same gpu’s,
one can be a great overclocker, the other can be a total bust.
Same story with cpu’s and memory a like.
It’s all a matter of silicon luck.