MSI Radeon 7870 Twin Frozr crashes at high resolution

Hi, Just built my first gaming PC - all of the component purchased in December:

AMD Phenom II Black Edition

MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard

MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC

Corsair Vengeance 8Gb Memory

Kingston Hyper-X 128Gb SSD

Power Corsair CX600

The problem is that the graphics card (or driver) seems to crash occasionally when running games such as Crysis 2 at high resolution (1920 x 1024). I have downloaded and installed all of the lastest bios and drivers from MSI but that doesn't seem to help. It also happens when you run graphics tests like Furmark. It is perfectly stable at lower resolution.

There seem to be some limited discussion on this topics on other forums but. I was wondering whether anyone else had the same issue and how it got resolved?

Can you run the card and find out what the max temp is when it is crashing?

Under Furmark the GPU crashes at a max temp of 75 degrees celcius

WHen it crashes, the game just freezes up right? The whole PC doesn't shut down?

That's right, it drops back to the desktop, it's like the driver just restarts

Have you tried the AMD drivers? Off the AMD site instead of the MSI ones?

Drop the clock speed. 

I will try both of those suggestions and let you know how it goes, thanks

Okay, checked the drivers on the AMD site and they say they are the same and the most recent.

Not sure I want to go dropping the clock speed as the card should be designed to run faster than the out of the box config

Any other ideas?

Returning it may be the only thing left to do, unless someone else may have another test for it. Did you buy the parts local or use a online retailer like Newegg?

I have the same card and mine runs fine at both a 2560x1440 resolution and at 5760x1080 so I don't think it's the drivers

Okay thanks for the advice have a call open with MSI as well to see what they advise but may need to be replaced