MSI PRO x670-P WIFI PCI_E4 Detection Issue

I just built a new system with the following specs:

OS Windows 11 Home Version, 10.0.22621 Build 22621

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor, 4201 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard PRO X670-P WIFI (MS-7D67)

GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, Driver Version 31.0.15.3161 - Installed in the main PCI-E1 slot

Ram G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory

SSD SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 - Installed in the top M2_1 slot above the GPU

NIC 10Gb SFP+ PCI-E Network Card NIC, with Broadcom BCM57810S Chip, Dual SFP+ Port, PCI Express X8

Case Antec Performance 1 FT, Full Tower, RTX40 Fully Compatible, Temp Display, 4 x Storm T3 PWM Fans, Type-C, Dual TG Side Panels, Removable Top Bracket, High Airflow Mesh Front Panel, E-ATX PC Gaming Case

The issue that I’ve see is that Device Manager cannot detect the 10Gb card when using the bottom PCI_E4 slot on the mobo. I also can’t get the case front I/O to work. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

I’m thinking it’s a chipset issue since both of those have to go through the chipset but haven’t been able to resolve the issue. All the I/O on the back end of the motherboard do work which good so I can just use 2.5Gb ethernet port there for now. (Although its really only 1Gb since my switch has 1Gb rj45 ports and 4 10Gb sfp+ ports).

When I first built I upgraded the Bios to Version 7D67v17 Release Date 2023-03-09. This was the latest non BETA version. I also went to the MSI site and installed the Chipset Drivers Version 5.01.29.2026 Release Date 2023-02-24. I also updated windows and all the GPU drivers to the latest.

That’s when I noticed the issue where the 10Gb card doesn’t even show in Device Manager when I was trying to install drivers for it. The card in the slot is powered on based on the LEDs but its not showing. Same thing for front I/O - if I plug in a flash drive the LED on in will light up so its powered but it won’t show in Partition Manager or in Windows Explorer.

At that point I uninstalled and reinstalled the chipset drivers to try and fix it. I noticed that AMD GPIO DRIVER (for Promontory) said it failed in the install summary.

AMD Chipset Software Install Summary

Name : AMD GPIO Driver Version : 2.2.0.130 Install : Success

Name : AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory) Version : 3.0.0.0 Install : Fail

Name : AMD PSP Driver Version : 5.22.0.0 Install : Success

Name : AMD SMBus Driver Version : 5.12.0.38 Install : Success

Name : AMD PPM Provisioning File Driver Version : 8.0.0.18 Install : Success

Name : AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Driver Version : 1.0.0.7 Install : Success

What’s weird is when I go into Device Manager under System Devices and look there are 2 AMD GPIO Controllers listed and they match the 2 above for the versions but the install dates are last year so I’m assuming they were already there and just didn’t really need to be updated.

That still didn’t fix either the PCI issue or Front I/O problem. I tried to swap the 10Gb nic out for a similar Intel 10Gb card that I know worked in a past PC but it also wasn’t even detected just like the other one although it still lights up in the slot.

I tried updating the Bios to the Beta version 7D67v181(Beta version) Release Date 2023-03-22. It didnt fix the issue.

A couple weeks later I just updated to the latest driver 7D67v194 2023-05-12 and its still not detecting it.

Not sure what I can think for the front panel I/O aside from triple checking cables but since the devices are powered and just not showing up - I’m stumped on that one.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

From the manual:

• PCI_E4* (From X670 chipset)
• Supports up to PCIe 4.0 x2

Your 10Gb card needs x8 - so x2 is insufficient for the card. I don’t think there are any x2 10Gb NICs…

1 Like

Also from the manual:
PCI_E4 & M2_4 share the bandwidth. The PCI_E4 slot will be unavailable when installing devices into the M2_4 slot

According to your post you didn’t install anything in PCI_E4 but you’ll need to look out for that.

On the other hand, most PCIe devices can operate with less PCIe lanes than optimal, often with only a single lane. Obviously slower.

Is the NIC detected in the UEFI/BIOS? Try turning the compatibility mode on and off and see if it gets detected by Windows.

Thanks for the reply. I think this might have been the issue and something I overlooked. It worked in my last pc on the bottom slot so just kind of assumed it wasn’t going to be an issue.

That bottom PCI_E4 slot is the only one available since the 4090 is so huge that I can’t even get to the other slots. Even the other CPU lane attached slot (PCI_E3) says it maxes out at PCIE 4.0 x4 so that still might not work. First world problems I guess.

Thanks again for the help.

Correct I don’t have anything in the shared M2 slot. And its not detected in the BIOS or Device Manager.

In the BIOS the only option I have for the chipset PCIE lanes is to choose the Gen (1,2,3,4,auto). It doesn’t show up with Auto, PCIE3, or PCIE4. Not sure if there are any other compatibility settings that maybe I missed.

Damage noted that the PCI_E4 slot is limited to x2 which I overlooked so that could be the issue when its looking for x8.

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.