MSI caught scalping 3000 series GPUs

Wew vlad, as if bribing reviewers wasn’t enough, msi just got caught scalping gpus on ebay:

Guess I’m never buying msi again if they’re the last manufacturer on the planet.

5 Likes

3 Likes

ya…refurb/scrapper

Basically “sorry we got caught, we’ll be more careful next time”

They process their RMAs through that company, from what I’ve heard.

3 Likes

No disagreement there. Just thought I’d post the official response for people who don’t watch the videos.

5 Likes

Oh, yeah, I posted the tweet, didn’t realize it didn’t embed the image.

mvp

2 Likes

Look, I just want my pixelpounder9000 and these buttholes are selling it for over MSRP.

2 Likes

Just camp outside a microcenter breh

4 Likes

To be honest I’ve given up trying. I’m just going to float on the 1660 Ti until after AMD’s announcement. I actually tried to snipe a good deal on a 2080 after the 30 series launch and ended up with a DOA card so that gave me all the indication I needed to go fuck myself.

Reducing settings for 1440p for a month or two isn’t killing me, but I want to play with new tech and not redo all my game profiles.

3 Likes

Sorry, I thought that sarcasm was clear enough by the use of “pixel pounder”

Yeah, I’m happy on my 1070 for now. It’s just not worth buying a water block for.

2 Likes

The sarcasm rang clear, but you’re not actually off the mark. I do want my pixelpounder9000 dammit and I want it now! With how slow new hardware releases are I need my fix as soon as possible.

1 Like

I do want a new GPU, but I can wait. Mildly frustrated, but that’s about it.

In GN’s video, Steve comes to the conclusion that MSI hasn’t been aware of that.

My take is an underpaid dude was supposed to monitor ebay and sell according to pricing trends and guess what people are doing

or even more likely, an even more underpaid dude made a script monitoring ebay price trends to sell GPU’s

if you run a business centered around Ebay and you don’t have pricing bots you’re doing it wrong

1 Like

It also comes down to if you believe them.

They have been doing it since at least the 2000 series and really the only way they got caught was a change by Amazon which lists addresses of companies now so people could confirm it. This change was just implemented last month.

2 Likes

Wasn’t this on eBay though?

1 Like

That’s why they never expected it…

the original posts came from ebay, but the amazon listings were what allowed people to figure out they were the same company, the addresses were the first clue as before they only had a vague trademark claim

2 Likes

Well… yeah Msi… :woman_facepalming:

I just don’t really have much more to say about them…