MSI B450-A Pro - PS/2 keyboard not working properly

My Model M is completely unresponsive in the BIOS - even the lock lights won’t come on, and the board explorer reports the PS/2 port as empty. I tried fiddling with USB settings, numlock state, even updated the BIOS… no dice. It does work if I exit the BIOS and then go back in before booting, for some reason, at which point the board explorer does report that it’s plugged in. Same thing in the OS - if I go into the BIOS first, it works fine, otherwise, nothing.

This one really has me scratching my head. A USB adapter would be an easy workaround, but I’d like to get it working natively if I can. Any ideas?

Maybe not enough current? As I recall a model m is a pretty chunky antique.

what vintage of that perfect piece of clicky keyed awesomeness do you have? Original early IBM, later lexmark manufacture, a uni-comp? As far as I understand there are some variations of power requirements, thru the generations with the power requirements slightly going down as time went on… But I am willing to bet that there is something else going on. Just curious what are your settings for wake from s3/s4/s5? in power management, also the hot key setting in there also. I was having some issues the other day with one of my model m’s and the NumLock status on boot setting in the bios, it was doing a similar thing, but that was on a vintage dell latitude, so totally different situation, but it may be worth toggling if nothing else.

By any chance are you using windows 7? ran across some wonky stuff related to Win7, MSI Bios, PS/2 and b450 chipset

and what version bios, have you tried either updating or rolling back?

Any chance one of your keys is stuck, even though the key-caps al appear to be up? Any modifications/customization’s to the model m?

did you just build this system? is this a brand new mother-board?

On top of that I am curious if you have tried it with another PS/2 keyboard? or a usb adapter, do you have a ps/2 mouse you could try

Just curious about your build now, what cpu and os are you running?

Hey, sorry I didn’t get back sooner, I’ve had my hands full the last few days. It’s one of the later models, a '93, with drainage channels, detachable cable, and two-piece caps. I doubt it’s a power problem, it does work perfectly if I do the in-and-out BIOS workaround (I’m typing on it right now). Tried changing the numlock status on boot, no dice.

By any chance are you using windows 7? ran across some wonky stuff related to Win7, MSI Bios, PS/2 and b450 chipset

Negative, running Linux. I know for a fact it’s not software-related, this was a problem I encountered while I was building the system and running pre-assembly tests, before I even plugged a storage device into it.

and what version bios, have you tried either updating or rolling back?

7B86vAC, the latest. Didn’t roll back, but I did update to that version to try to fix it.

Any chance one of your keys is stuck, even though the key-caps al appear to be up? Any modifications/customization’s to the model m?

No modifications, all keys are good to go.

did you just build this system? is this a brand new mother-board?

Built it a couple months ago, the motherboard was indeed brand new.

On top of that I am curious if you have tried it with another PS/2 keyboard? or a usb adapter, do you have a ps/2 mouse you could try

Don’t have any of those at the moment, I imagine it’d work just fine with an adapter though.

Just curious about your build now, what cpu and os are you running?

Ryzen 3 2200G, running Zorin OS, my first real dive into using Linux on a daily basis. It’s been a challenge coming from a lifetime of Windows, but I’m happy to say I’ve either fixed or worked around every problem I’ve run into with Linux so far. Gonna add a Strix GTX 1660 Super soon so I can actually run my games properly, lol.

Saved the most important for last…

Just curious what are your settings for wake from s3/s4/s5? in power management, also the hot key setting in there also.

I’m not very familiar with CPU power state stuff, can you walk me through how to check this a little? I vaguely remember fiddling with these settings, but I think I just disabled them outright.

any updates

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.