mSATA disks: What should I look for?

So mSATA was a thing. I feel like most everyone skipped over it because real sata and M.2 were coming around in the SSD world.

But, I need an mSATA disk. I have no clue what to look for in an mSATA SSD, let alone a real SSD. I can’t say what machine it is for yet, but I will say that I need an SSD for it if I am going to use it.

This is the one I am looking at based off of price alone.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA77G78U4795&cm_re=msana--9SIA77G78U4795--Product

Now all I need it to do is run 2 boot sectors. One windows 10, one void linux. Void actually needs an assload of space as all updates are kept as a rollback feature. Windows is just a fatass. So, optimally the drive will be split in 2, with the extra 8GB as swap for linux. ’ Though, I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more for more space.

Any suggestions?

Wasn’t msata created for laptops/ netbooks before M.2 became a thing?

Seems it is still going strong for WiFi/BT radios though

Oh and size wise looks a okay, as long as you have somewhere to actually store data? Else it might get awful cramped :smiley:

Probably not going to want a refurbished SSD for one. Although most consumers will probably never burn out an SSD, they do have a finite amount of write cycles before they degrade passed usability. And you never know what you’re going to get with a refurb.

Aside from that one can get into controller brands and the actual memory chip maker, bit generally I just recommend going for a better known brand and the capacity desired.

For performance any drive with >= 500 MB/s read/write and >= 70,000 IOPs is good enough for most people IMO.

You have mSATA and mini-pcie. You know I wonder if someone will make a pcie SSD for the PCIe slot in laptops and macs XDDD

But uh, yeah. Lotsa laptops had it from budget to god tier. Still do in many of them. Was in workstation boards and macs too.

And NUCs

They make mPCIe specific SSDs, but because of the limited bandwidth they weren’t all that popular. That, and most mPCIe slots are shorter than mSATA.

The fuck? Thats awesome.

So its a SATA 2 slot that the thing is going in. Is it still worth getting like an 860 or 950 EVO?

If it’s SATA II then almost any modern SSD above garbage tier will be bottlenecked by the interface. At that point just grab the size you want from any decent brand. Crucial, Micron, Mushkin, Toshiba, OCZ, Samsung, ADATA, Intel, et cetera.

3 Likes