'Mr. Robot', new - actually decent - Hacker/Drama series *SPOILERS*

Why i have this feeling that Angela will be turned to be the Villain in the future seasons?

I can't see her becoming an antagonist, but what I do think will happen is that what she's doing will fuck over what fsociety is doing.

Specifically this: she's already been asking Terry Colby about the chemical spill cover-up, or whatever it was. I think she's gonna ask him about the hack, he'll say he was framed, she'll look into it and somehow find out Elliot was behind it.

Who do you guys think knocked on Elliot's door? Tyrell?

I'm more interested what is the wh1ter0se end game.Sit on a couch drinking wine while watching the world burn? :3 xD

1 Like

I don't think they kill Tyrell because is a big character with much do "give" and the fans love him way too much.

Ya this show super derivative and a blend of dexter & fight club as well. Even when Elliot found out that Tyler Durdan, in mean Mr.Robot, was a delusion of his mind they played "where is my mind" by the pixies.

And yet I still watch it.

The knock at the door is his ex-shrink (Krista Gordon). Tyrell will be injected mid-next-season. (I am betting)

Been watching the show since episode 1 aired as a result I feel like a hipster in some way, while my friends started to watch it around episode 8. Cant wait to see how Tyrell and Elliot team up will take the two of them and im happy with this twist of events more so given Tyrell is my favourite character of the show so this should mean he will play a much larger part in series rather than the pseudo villian he was in the first season

I just binged it the other day, and it wasn't bad. I was expecting something far more bland from USA. If I had to bet, I'd say a production company that has nothing to do with USA made it, and USA just purchased it for air (the blanked out swear words are a good clue). Sort of like what History does with Vikings. It feels nothing like all the other USA original series, which all have a similar tone/feel to varying degrees.

Now, some of the tech related dialog is a bit clunky (though, a lot of the visual representation is pretty good). I cringed during that first conversation Elliot had with Tyrell "I see you're using Gnome, I'm still on KDE. I know it's supposed to be a superior desktop environment, but old habits die hard. What? An executive running Linux?" It's just some of it felt like something a writer looked up on google, rather than something they actually had experience with. Like the fact that they kept saying "Raspberry Pi" constantly lol. I've never once heard anyone call it a "Raspberry Pi" in conversation before, unless they are explaining what it is to someone unfamiliar. If it was another product, I would have guessed that it was a paid advertisement lol.

But, over all, I've seen much worse tech jargon and representation of technology, software and coding on screen (though, now that I think about it, I don't think there was any actual coding on screen). So I give it a pass.

I noticed that as well (er, it was a few scenes after he realized that, but still). Matter of fact, from the very start of the show (when he mentioned he had hallucinations), I kept looking for visual clues that Mr Robot wasn't real ala the clues that Tyler Durden wasn't real in Fight Club. And there are a number of them, but they also try and throw you off quite a bit too, so I wasn't 100% sure he wasn't real until the cemetery (only 90% lol).

Overall, a good show though. Looking forward to next season.

1 Like

I've been re-watching it all this week. I won't give any spoilers away but it's important to re-watch after you watched it all the way through the first time. Excellent show. Not something I'd expect from the mediocre USA network that brought us dreck like Burn Notice. F Society.

Yeah but come on man you have to be somewhat lenient. For those of us that actually know about Linux yeah that scene was a bit cringey but from the average viewers perspective watching a show that mentions Linux desktop environments is pretty fucking cool if you ask me.

Yeah, but average viewers are ok with shit like this

So, if you're going to try and elevate the representation of tech on TV, why not go all the way? You're already over most people's heads, why dumb certain parts it down? Or at least that's my opinion. They did a lot of things right, but those things just made what they did wrong stand out all the more, and makes you question why they only went 90% of the way.

It's small gripes compared to all the shit that's out there, but like I said, they stood out to me.

2 Likes

I think you just answered your own question. Yes of course we'd like to see it be 100% authentic and yeah you're right it already is over the average viewer's head but going any further like watching Elliot mess around with a package manager for 5 straight minutes would probably turn a good number of viewers away. Come to think of it I'm not sure I'd want to watch that either. I sure as hell don't want to see this.

Lol, not what I had in mind (though, it could be a great bit of experimental TV to have him wearing headphones, just dicking around with aptitude for 5 minutes while something crazy happens around him in the background without him realizing it lol). You still need an engaging narrative. I'm really just talking a few lines of clunky dialog here. It was just confusing that they let certain things slip, when so much else was more or less spot on. It almost felt like their tech adviser had Wednesdays off, and the writers just googled some techy sounding stuff on those days lol.

1 Like

Finally got around to watching the season finale, and I have to say I'm kind of pissed they brought the asshole from the pilot back.

WTF did I just watched?

Yeah that line was the only real clunky one. I got excited at first just by hearing the words Gnome and KDE on television but then yeah sat back and laughed at how it was written. Most of the hacking shots are of network sniffing on what I'm guessing is Kali Linux. The show does address the Hollywood hacker bullshit though. Remember the scene in the motel where they're watching Hackers? "Ive been in this game 27 years and never once seen a dancing/singing virus"

I liked the way the show began but wasn't a fan of its direction towards the end of the season. Just seemed to turn into a huge clusterfuck IMO

I just finished watching this show after seeing this thread last night.
Excellent show to waste time. Sorry but what they where doing on the PC's and what was actually happening was just to innacurate XD.. also that convo "Oh you use gnome? I used to live in the past too but I've moved on and use KDE... " lmao so bad. Also they used soo many GUI programs for some reason... there's just to much crap to pick at.. oh well I watched that all night with no sleep and now I can't sleep, the ending was good, almost looking forward to season 2.

Now to get Silicone Valley for some humour.

Watch these if you haven't:
Ghost in the shell (all of them)
Welcome to the NHK
et cetera.
also watch Battle Programmer Shirase, it's entertaining.

Yes Tyrell's gnome/kde line was a bit clunky as I mentioned above but most of what Elliot was doing was in the terminal. Sure when he burned his cds he was using a gui program but for the most part it shows him typing in the command line.

Examples? Other than some time skip (which, hey, it's a TV show, probably not a good idea to have him brute forcing a password for 3 hours lol, so they skip ahead in the process for the sake of pacing), I didn't notice much that was inaccurate (other than the prison hack... that was a bit much, at least the time frame in which it happened anyway). Even the commands I caught looked accurate.

As for the GUI programs, what few they used (the hackers mostly used terminal), seemed accurate and plausible to me. Some programs just work better in GUI than text based. Web browsers for example (social engineering on facebook using Lynx might be problematic lol), or HDshredder (which, I'm not sure even HAS a command line version), or FTP (why execute through terminal when you can drag and drop?). Again, post examples of these GUI programs that irked you, because I didn't notice much of anything that didn't make sense in the context of what they were doing.

Now, yeah. There were some clunky lines of dialog. We discussed those above a bit lol. And a bit of inaccurate descriptions of things as well, but most (nearly all?) the on screen "hacking" looked pretty good to me. My complaints are small, and deal almost entirely with dialog.