'Mr. Robot', new - actually decent - Hacker/Drama series *SPOILERS*

What are you talking about? This is exactly what our real world is like. It's just difficult to see.

2 Likes

I know the real world is as fucked up as the show makes it out to be. I was wondering what would happen if a hacker group actually did what the hacker group is doing in the show.

Oh man, I was sold on the trailer alone. Just finished watching the pilot and the only disappointing thing about it is that I have to wait an entire month to see the next episode. for some reason it gave me a Fight Club kind of vibe.

1 Like

I know right! The waiting is killing me. I heard that the next episode will air in late June.

That's gonna feel like an eternity.

I agree with everyone. Show looks really good and I hope they don't screw it up anytime soon. Waiting is the hard part but I'm pretty excited for it.

1 Like

Mr. Robot episode 2 is out. Get in!

@Grim_Reaper

All over it, man.
Sweet episode.

The series has already been signed to do a second season even before the pilot officially aired!

1 Like

What do you mean by Pilot? Sorry english is not my native language.

Are you sleepy? Chappie will put you to sleep.

A television pilot (also known as a pilot or a pilot episode) is a standalone episode of a television series that is used to sell the show to a television network.

2 Likes

The first two episodes were good. The third makes it look much more one dimensional and more about social drama than a hacker/thriller. I'll watch the fourth episode tomorrow, but I'm not expecting much.

First of all, the butt sex scene was a little over the top. I'm surprised this show has a TV14 rating with that. There was some importance to the scene, as it showed Tyrell (the business man) rooting the guy's phone. However, the scene could have started just after the sex and we would have gotten the same idea. Considering it won't even show a hetero scene, as they had two opportunities by now (not that I would want them to), screams social agenda. fsociety includes a girl in a hijab, which is cool, but gets a little distasteful with the whose "she'll get Allah Akbar on you," which both doesn't make any sense and reeks of a little racism. I dismissed it at that point because the show was still fresh and had some promise.

Then there's the fact that it belittles Elliot's paranoia, completely downplaying the whole 1% of the 1% by the end of the second episode, and by the end of the third shows that it really doesn't care about that. Elliot (very elaborately) destroyed his computer because he was afraid that Evil Corp would track that down and find him, even though he was already being followed by agents. Speaking of, the agents in the first episode are gone (as far as following him), the whole surveillance thing was said to be untrue, and the battle is really just against the corporations and a moral dilemma with hackers. The main "bad guy" that we've seen, Tyrell, turns out not to have much of an in at Evil anyways, becoming interim CTO of the company, until he was to be replaced by an outside candidate. Also, Elliot dismisses the whole morphine problem despite setbacks and admits to himself without hesitation that he would just hack the hospital and change their records, as if it were their problem that IT was so bad there. The whole "she's one of the good ones" obviously means nothing since he evidently is selfish and has no moral code, or his moral code is just deteriorating, way too fast at the start of the season for him to be stable. Maybe that's the point, but being the main character, I feel like they should have spent more time with him rationalizing. Episode 2 probably shouldn't have happened until mid-season, at least, so that he wouldn't run out of those withdrawl pills until after a major break.

Though, as much as I don't like how it developed, it still has some chance. There are the Chinese hackers that have been working to break into Allsafe. The Tyrell storyline could get good depending on what he and his wife decide to do with the new CTO (though chances are they'll try to pass Tyrell off as "not that bad a guy" - and we'll be midseason with still no clear antagonist other than "Evil Corp"). Also, the hacker girl that keeps breaking into his apartment is supposedly one of the two main characters, not one of the supporting characters. If she proves that she can actually do something, that will be interesting, but it doesn't seem like the show has invested in her character at all.

1 Like

I agree with you on some points. I agree that Elliot's "moral code" (or whatever you'd like to call it) is deteriorating way too fast (at least give it several more episodes). I think the series as a whole is moving too fast, for example, the second episode, as you mentioned. I feel like that could have happened at least mid-season (unless "moving too fast" is their intention, and they plan to have some completely insane shit go down, then I guess that's fine). As for the girl in the hijab, I honestly didn't have a problem with that at all.

Nevertheless, I really like the show.

Yeah, and I realize I'm being a little nitpicky if anything. Mr. Robot (Christian Slater, whatever his name is) does tend to make a lot of comments like that, so it's not very surprising in terms of dialogue.

I'll probably watch until the end of the season. It's licensed for 10 episodes in season 1, right? I just really hope they jump back on the whole conspiracy thing, haha. I liked the vigilante side of Elliot.

I did too. I really hope they don't take it away.

Is there a streaming service where I can watch this? Or is it only available with cable?

For free, or paid? :P

They've actually been distributing it pretty well, you can get it on Amazon, the Microsoft Store, Google Play, and probably a few other places as well. They seem to stay up to date, and if you buy the whole season, you can watch them as soon as they're released.

Oh ok, I'll just buy it on the play store.

I find it funny though with the third episode they everyone was somewhat "repulsed" by the gay anal sex scene, where earlier on Tyrell pays a homeless man and beats the living daylights out of him.
It's interesting how we're all still more okay with physical violence then we are gay consensual sex... Just something I feel needed to be pointed out.
I agree that the scene wasn't really necessary, but who knows, it could lead to something later down the track - like Elliot using it as an exploit, who knows?

I'm believing more and more that Mr. Robot doesn't exist. Noone has explicitly spoken to him, if they have it's because he's standing very close or in-front of Elliot; maybe something of Elliot's sub-conscious projecting itself... I'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm wondering what spin-off they're going to take with the Chinese hackers. The characters Angelia and Ollie shit me - I get sick of there being love interests in everything, I get it, I do - but man, it gets dull. Just get to the conspiracy stuff already!
Sorry for that detour... Anyway, I feel that they'll soon go to Elliot for help or they'll be fools and place the disc in AllSafe's network and cause some unnecessary shitstorm which will only deviate from the main story for a few episodes, maybe be used to influence a few characters in a way. For instance; it might be a useful way for Elliot to prove his dedication to AllSafe and yet again save their asses and then get Gideon off his case... I'm not sure.

The whole "Dexter" mentality of the show bugs me.
How he keeps his own "blood slides" - I dunno, I feel it'll bite him in the ass at some point.
The inner monologue is interesting, but it's getting way too close to Dexter.
I feel that Elliot's now girlfriend, Shayla will get harmed at some point which will then put Elliot in a downward spiral. Just a hunch.

Anyway, still one of the better dramas airing at the moment. I'll keep watching until it gets repetitive and slow, hopefully it doesn't.

1 Like

Well, I think violence like that is almost expected when you turn on the TV, and for the comparison, had no blood or broken bones. Considering the show never features people fighting (it's always one-sided), I'd say it's pretty mild. We didn't see any bones; although, technically, we didn't see any in the sex scene either (bad pun, sorry).
Well, Tyrell told his wife that he was going to the club for "business". He did root the guy's phone. I suspect the guy is related to the CTO position, but I'm not sure. I'd have to watch that episode again.

What about the Appletini? Mr. Robot already got his before Elliot even walked through the door, and the bartender gave Elliot this "are you kidding me" look when he asked for the same. I suppose it's still possible, but I would think all of fsociety would have to be a projection, and I don't think Elliot could have done all that by himself, and Shayla already met Darlene at least twice.

When Angela said "I want to break up with you": YES!
When Angela said "I'm sorry I said that, I don't want to break up with you": NO!
Ollie makes my blood pressure go up for each second he's on the screen. Oh well, at least he's pretty well acted (I guess).

Also, I think something big is going to happen tonight. I saw the role list on IMDB by accident, and a decent number of characters are only listed for the first four episodes. So, there's that.