Mozilla VPN

Thgouhts? It seems like Mozolla are trying to build a small set of ‘privacy’ centred services.

I wondered how they managed to get so many servers, it turns out there essentially using a white-labelled Mullvad. I don’t know much about them, any data?

1 Like

Nor do I, I know I’ve seen their name at the top of the list for privacytools

That’s not that bad of a deal but tbch you could run your own vps wireguard for cheaper but this is awesome from them

Wouldn’t running your own VPN server ruin the entire premise of having a VPN for privacy?

that depends on who you’re trying to fool in terms of using a VPN for ‘privacy’

2 Likes

Are they just looking at ways to expand / generate revenue?

I’d trust a paid VPN from Moz, less so a “free” version…

I’m sure they would anonamize, but still…

I am really curious for what people actually pay for a VPN.
Most probably just have them for circumventing geoblocking, and the majority of the rest probably have them because they believed the bs some of the providers have promised. (i.e. “VPN will protect you from Hackers”)

I use mine for stopping the man (my ISP) from seeing me when I sail the high seas… thats about it.

Our ISP’s in the UK very easily give up browsing data.[edit: either “anonymized” for money, or a the weakest whiff of an over-reaching / unenforceable warrant/subpoena]

And geo-un-blocking can be handy.
Most companies seem to be $100 /yr or less, so not really a big cost

For day to day, geoblock, adding a layer of privacy from government mandated surveillance. Other uses for things like research etc for work and other uses business uses.

They don’t give it up(not without he appropriate requests etc), but the large ones have a requirement to store certain types of metadata for specific periods of time. The smaller ones don’t have this requirement but that doesn’t mean they don’t still implement content firewalls to block content.

In germany we have the “data stockpiling” data that is collected about everyone all the time, but only accessible by court order. Currently i still kind of trust that they don’t abuse the system.
The main thing i worry about is having a way to access the internet that circumvents that system in the event i ever loose that trust. (and them not easily being able to detect that then)
But for that i just keep a USB drive with a install of Tails on hand.

Thgouhts?

My first thought is that it’s been a while since I’ve trusted Mozilla, and VPNs don’t excite me terribly because I select ISPs carefully.

Mullvad

I trust them more than Mozilla, and Wireguard is good.

1 Like

I’ve been using Mullvad for about 3 years now. Good service and they seem to be very privacy focused. You can setup an account giving them very little info and pay with crypto, not even an Email address. Highly recommended. The only issue I had was setting their client on openSUSE but that was resolved quickly and it works fine. They also provide good documentation for different setups from the simple to the complex for the paranoid.