Moving to a new house and getting AT&T Gigabit Fiber

Within the next month I will be moving to a new house that is in the AT&T fiber service area. I was wondering if I would be able to just take the fiber connection that they run into my house and connect it directly into a PCI-e card in my PFsense machine? From what I could find, the typical install has the fiber run into an AT&T branded box (looks like a fiber media converter) and has a standard RJ-45 ethernet output and this would usually go to an AT&T branded wireless gateway.

If it’s possible to connect the fiber directly to my PFsense machine, what PCI-e card would be best for this situation?

AT&T always gives you a modem router combo. Probably a 5268 or whatever bs hardware they have now.

Apparently (not sure how try this is) I just got it as well and when i worked there we were told only if you get Gigapower 1up 1down you can use either your own modem and router or put theirs into bridge mode.

I do know for a fact though, putting any AT&T modem into bridge mode is not possible no matter how hard you try.

You should be able to use your own modem though, I can’t remember if they use PPPoE or not but either way there’s an Ethernet port coming out of the ONT.

I’ve been last and have not tried yet since I just moved in but i will try soon once I get a knew pfsense together.

Thanks _hill, do you know if the ONT can be bypassed with a PCI-e SPF network card? I would set it as the WAN connection for PFsense.

All it does is convert from fiber to Ethernet and there’s a 3M standard fiber connection so unless you have a network card or hardware to convert fiber to Ethernet no.

There’s no real need to bypass it it’s a very small basic ONT there’s nothing malicious packed into it.

I’m mostly concerned with it overheating or something like that. I’ve had overheating issues with my current modem for my cable connection.

What type of fiber connection does AT&T run into houses? FT? SC? LC? And is it multimode or singlemode fiber?

SC connector, I’m pretty sure it’s single mode but can’t remember.

There’s not really any plan on AT&T going past 1gb anytime soon at least for residential.

Only in very very few locations can you get above 1gb fiber unless it’s metro-E which is absurdly expensive and only enterprise.

We’ve pushed the ONTs pretty hard and haven’t found any overheating issues but I wouldn’t put it in an area without basic airflow.

Once I get my new home network going I’ll be pushing it as much as I can and will find out if it fails.

Sounds good, I could always put a fan on the ONT if I have any overheating issues. I should just be able to run the ONT directly into my PFsense router correct? I keep seeing that people need to bridge their AT&T gateway to use their own router, but i’m thinking this might be because they are getting TV and/or phone, while I will only have the fiber internet connection.

You’ll probably have to call them and tell them what you’re doing, which I’ve asked and they said it is ok and allowed by their terms.

Theyll probably have to give you some account details, I’m not sure though. Gigapower was only out for about a year before I quit. And the first I’ve heard about using your own equipment was when i ordered it and talked to the agent.

Nobody at AT&T that I know when I was there had ever attempted their own equipment.