Moving NVMe RAID to new motherboard

I currently have a Gigabyte Designare X399 motherboard, and use 2 of the onboard M.2 slots for a NVMe RAID setup. The RAID was created in the BIOS using AMD RaidExpert2.

Is it possible to switch to a different X399 motherboard (Asus for example), install the same NVMe drives there, and use the same RAID array - without loosing the data?

It should work. If you do try, it’s worth backing up to another drive before migrating the array.

Page 103:

9.6.5 Prepare to Physically Remove an Array

9.6.5.1 Physically Remove an Array

CAUTION: Prior to removing an array, remove its drive letter (Windows) or unmount the array (Linux).

1. In the Array View section, select the array to remove.
  2. At the Array menu, select Prepare to Remove.
  3. At the Prepare to Remove window, click Yes. The array and all associated disks disappear from the Array Status window.
  4. Remove the first disk from the system.
  5. When the Drive Removed window displays, click Cancel.
  6. Remove the remaining disks in the array.
  7. When all disks in the array are removed from the system, select Rescan at the Disk menu.

9.6.5.2 Array Migration

The disks in an array, after being removed from one system with a RAIDXpert2 controller, can be migrated to another system with a RAIDXpert2 controller. The disks and array(s) appear in the second system, in Disk Management, the BIOS Configuration Utility, and RAIDXpert2, as normal RAIDXpert2 disks and array(s).

If the disks from a RAIDXpert2 system are migrated to a non-RAIDXpert2 Windows-based system, the disks appear in Disk Management of the second system as healthy, unknown partitions. To use the disks, use Disk Management to delete the RAIDXpert2-created partitions and to create Windows partitions on the disks.

CAUTION: All data contained in a RAIDXpert2 array are lost if the RAIDXpert2 disks of the array are migrated to a non-RAIDXpert2 system.

1 Like

Thanks for that link, that’s super useful.
Hopefully I won’t need to switch out the motherboard, but good to know the array can be migrated if it comes to that.

1 Like

How did you get the RAID working? I’ve been fighting with it for several weeks now and have been completely unsuccessful getting NVMe RAID to work. I’m running the f11e BIOS with a 2950X. I configure a RAID0 volume with RaidExpert2 then load the Windows 10 installer. Instead of the RAID volume I see the individual NVMe drives. Then I load the RAID drivers from Gigabyte and all the drives disappear from the installer. And that’s it. I’ve tried so many BIOS setting combinations with exactly the same result: No drives available.

Everything else about this MB is top notch but one of my primary reasons for buying it was to be able to do NVMe RAID0.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.