Moving Away From Streaming

Yeah, though i would also wager its a violation of the youtube terms of service.

You’ll probably (like, almost 99.9999999% dead cert) get away with it, but i’d argue its not in the spirit of the agreement, legally dubious and a lot more hassle than just using torrents :smiley:

I mean, you didn’t pay for it, the artist didn’t get compensated in the same manner if you rip it from a video surrounded by ads :slight_smile:

True, but breaking TOS is not strictly illegal.
Also I wouldn’t say it’s more hassle. Once you got your options figured out it’s always the same command just with a different link.

eh? Clicking around youtube for days…

As opposed to looking for something like

Band name all tracks torrent :smiley: and getting everything they made in one hit.

Oh yeah if we’re talking about whole albums for sure. I was referring to single songs.

1 Like

The problem with torrents is that sometimes rare and/or old stuff can go unseeded, so it is perfectly possible that youtube is the only easily accessible source. Of course one can also try and hunt down a vinyl/CD/tape on ebay or a random MP3 from the internet, but youtube is a convenient source.

That very much depends on the tracker you’re using. Hint: Public trackers are a bad idea.

^although that’s drifting into not-fit-for-this-forum-territory.

1 Like

If the person uploading has made a YT playlist for the band or the album, you can tell youtube-dl to download the entire playlist. Hell, you can just give youtube-dl a channel, and it will happily rip all public videos of that channel.

I’ve been a 7digital customer for over a decade now, and have had some problems with re-downloading songs that I purchased. 7digital tends to license albums from the distributors for a couple of years at a time and then lets some of the licenses expire (probably because they’re not profitable enough).

I’ve only see this 1 time with FLAC. I’ve seen this a fair bit with MP3.

I appreciate the conversation and topics all, very good food for thought!

My next step is to figure out what’s the perfect streaming solution after having the digitized media. I have Plex running already (as stated in my OP) but not sure if this is optimal for music streaming. If you all have any ideas that’d be greatly appreciated! Again, thank you for the input, and I’m still trying to figure out which post to make a solution…

I don’t see a reason why Plex wouldn’t be usable if you already set it up anyway.

For anyone who hasn’t, Jellyfin would be the open source option.

1 Like

As for a DAC I have a a raspberry pi with a HiFi berry DAC+ hat running Moode that streams from my NAS / web radio / tidal to an old fashioned stereo setup. Works incredibly well.

1 Like

Indeed, you only get the receipts per e-mail.

Most of mine are MP3 indeed, but several are FLAC too.
It’s not really a problem for me (plenty of backups), but it’s something that people may need to know if they’re only just starting to build their own music collection. It’s not a fun problem to encounter.

I keep my music (slightly over 13K FLAC songs, 383GB) on my NAS. No special streaming program or anything like that, just a regular music player.
When setting up my music players (Dopamine on Windows, Rhythmbox on Linux), I simply pointed those to the right place on the NAS and set that as the music library.
I never had any issues with that. Dopamine even does regular checks for added/renamed/removed files and will automatically update its library.

2 Likes

While you’re setting all this up you might try Internet Radio. There’s a ton of stations (like 28,000) and there’s got to be something out there you like in a format you can stand, ad free. I use an app called RadioSure and listen to Radio Paradise out of California.

Bummer… apparently my last order was eaten by the spamfilter and I didn’t notice… still got the PayPal receipt tho, which doesn’t list the exact articles :confused:

That sucks.

You could try contacting their customer support and asking them to re-send the missing mail.
Or put all your music in a spreadsheet and add a note for the affected songs.

Yeah I was thinking about sending them a mail.
I mainly want a proof of purchase to anyone who might come knocking at my door eventually (kinda paranoid, I know, but better have it and not need it then need it and not have it, right). And a spreadsheet doesn’t really help with that. I put the PDFs alongside the music so that I have it right there. Which is also why the PayPal receipt doesn’t help much since it only shows the amount and “Music Downloads” as the item, but not the actual items.

Same here. The spreadsheet does help though. If they go after you because of a specific song, you can look into the spreadsheet and quickly find out on what date you purchased said song, making it easier to identify the correct pdf.

For fear of derailing the topic, here’s a quick example :

(blue highlights are digital downloads and purchases)

When I bought the James Last song, I had to get it in MP3 because 7digital didn’t have FLAC yet. (looks like they finally got that song in FLAC in 2019)
I also knew from experience that if you inquire about upgrading your old MP3 purchase to FLAC (and offer to pay the difference), they will tell you it’s impossible and that you’ll have to purchase the FLAC version (at full price), meaning you’d have paid for 2 licenses to what is essentially the same song.
I’m all in favor of supporting artists, but there are limits. So I got hold of a lossless version through less legitimate means. (hence the “format switched” comment).

If the copyright mafia ever comes knocking because of that download, I can look up the song in my spreadsheet, open my pdf folder and simply grab the file called “7digital 2013-12-24”.

2 Likes

Well it depends how you store the PDFs I guess and whether you buy full albums or single songs. So far I only bought a couple full albums, and storing the PDF alongside them kinda makes sense for me. If I were buying a bunch of single songs I’d probably store them all in one place and have a list somewhere as well (or better yet, just use the file tags inside the files).

1 Like

I’m moving away from online music too, I’m kinda old fashion and I listen to songs mostly from the 90s. I used to play songs on Apple Music a lot, but now I find a tool(Tunelf Audio Converter) to get all my songs locally. Now I never get online but I’m happy with these tracks I’ve downloaded. I feel like I will own these songs forever.

1 Like

Guess nobody else watches Leonard French yt channel…