Moving apps to sd card

Hello guys, so i have a LG Max smartphone that i got used and it's my second Android phone i had. So it has some apps from the carrier that uses some of the memory and i would like to know if, there's a way to move some of the apps to the SD card without rooting my phone?
The version i'm using from Android is 5.0 Lollipop.

Thanks!

Without root you can't move apps onto the SD card.

1 Like

Very good chance the apps are installed onto the system partition so you would need root to do anything to them

Do you know why they would lock users out of what seems should be a basic functionality of the hardware?

My idea is that the system is less stable with said option and users who do such thing might find issues with apps when they connect the phone to the PC or if they unmount the SD card while the phone it's on. Also the performance of the device might get compromised if a slow SD card is installed and the way new Android versions handle apps (5.0 and up - ART vs Dalvik) is much more complex than it used to be. You've probably noticed that sometimes, before the booting phase is completed, a message with a spinning circle that says optimizing apps. I don't know exactly what that operation is but I think having apps on the SD card might interfere with it.

Its a shame as a lot of inexpensive phones have too little internal storage but include an SD card slot but it would seem the slot isn't all that useful.

As someone who has been stuck in the Apple ecosystem, having an SD card slot used to be touted as one area that Android was superior to iPhones, except it would seem that Google has nerfed that feature...

Its too bad that the spirit of a more open platform isn't embraced more, allowing users who know what they are doing to opt in without requiring root... which again, on some cheaper, off brand phones you may not be able to find any support for that works, or you can trust not to be laden with malware.

The reason people like it, is that if your a media junky, it can really come in handy. If you want to put movies, tv, or music on your phone, you can put it on the sd card and leave all the system storage to apps and the os. It also is really easy to transfer media via sd card if you want to move stuff from a pc to your phone.

As far as I know, Android apps are better isolated against attacks when running on the device's memory instead of an SD card.

Thanks to all for the feedback :)

I saw a video of someone using an app called APK Editor to move some apps to the sd card. The thing is this phone has 4gb of storage but with the bloatware and i just installed a few apps i only have like 600 mb free.

I will only leave some important apps on the phone storeage and another on the sd card.

So i would need to root the phone? I'm a little scared if i do something wrong to the phone tbh. I tried with kingroot but it failed during the process.

Is that because most people use FAT32 for their SD format? I could see how using a proper file system might improve security against some sorts of attacks. Other than that, I'm not sure why it would be an issue, just a check for FAT32 before allowing Apps to copy.

Exactly

Android 6 on lets you adopt external SD cards as internal storage. You lose the data on it, and can only use it on that device. I doubt even a Class 10/ UHS-1 SD card can match the flash memory of an internal phone. You should see if your phone supports custom ROMs even if they're unofficial.

Hi! I had the same issue with you so I searched on google and found this application that can move Android apps to SD card. It's a great phone manager too so I did not hesitate to get it. Hope this helps!