Motorola G6 Play - Yay or Nay?

Heard a lot of good stuff about it too. But yea, the headphone jack is something to miss really. Good thing bluetooth earphones are getting better and better nowadays.

A thing of sorta interest to others. I’ll be developing a motomod that is basically audio controls plus a battery. My idea is to find generic LI ION batteries that you can slot in like an SD card and cover, have the sound chip from their example board for a speaker, but just have it take in a headphone jack rather than speaker, and have a play / pause button on the bottom of the phone.

IDK how I’d fund it and I need a prototype first, but if theres general community interest I might push that to the top of the schedule list.

1 Like

Dang, that seems like a legitimately awesome project.

1 Like

So, after countless hours over the last six months of failing to get this phone to work with any custom rom I think I am done for good. I’ll probably give up and go with google now. They have managed to complicate it to the point where it doesn’t make sense for anyone to even try running custom stuff.

I am honestly frustrated because of this. It looks like in the near future not even the tinkerer and nerds will be able to chose IF they want to be tracked but at best might be able to pick by whom.

… I hate smartphones. All of them.

Well the tracking society is where we live in today, wheter you wanted it or not. But times change - and there’s always tradeoffs.
I found it ‘easier’ to understand and accept where we’re at today, and as such live accordingly.

If I want privacy, I’ll take the required steps to ensure I’m anonymous; separate systems on separate networks, tor & vpn, geo spoofing and leaving the usual phone somewhere else, spoofing even that devices location.

It’s like getting windows into your house for the first time but if you want privacy, pull the curtains.

This short ad has some true points so it’s worth watching:
(Not advocating, never will. People should make their own descisions, I just think what they’re saying here is true)

2 Likes

Did you try newer builds of AOSP/GSI-Treble? At least from github seems all the issues have been sorted.
I too thinking for moving from G4 play to G6 play. Any other ideas? Thanks

I gave up a while ago and got me a Nokia 6.1 running android one for around 150,- Euros. … So, I’m praising my Google overlords again.
If it’s fine now I might give it another shot but honestly I like the low budget stock android variant.

1 Like