Motorola G6 Play - Yay or Nay?

My G4 Play has a removable battery. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Puny 2800mAh and that thing is 1.5 years and has a standby time of 5 days plus.

Shame that they removed that option in later generations, as i dont think the G6 Play has that :confused:

Nope, doesn’t. But it really doesn’t matter if you don’t install Google Power Virus Services. That is the thing, the G6 Play costs 170,- bucks brand new and is pretty much all battery. 4000mAh with a screen and some other stuff. That will easily last a week the moment I get rid of the stock ROM.

Bought one for the Mom- the 450 is laggier than I thought it would be, in fact I went into developer options and cut the animation down to .5. the 625 on the g5 is plenty snappy, I feel/fear this 450 is going to really suffer after some updates/not age well (maybe it will be a good thing Moto is slow to update for this use case). Finger print is laggy too. May have to leverage lineageos if updates impact it more. Then again I’m coming from a OP6 and lineageos LG G3 before that.

Screen is a pleasant surprise though, had my fears about 720p. Overall asthetics of the phone are that of a much more premium phone. Kudos to the SD card support as well. 3gigs ram imo is good for this segment as well.

Waiting to see if I can filter out pesky Amazon notifications when they pop (will not be logging in an account)- another reason to lineage it- but for now I just want a simple oem / non altered for my mom.

So far I have unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and flashed Resurrection Remix. It kinda works … as a phone … but it is very alpha, if that.

Also that ROM comes with a linked in app? And I can’t uninstall that?
I would prefer a LineageOS, I guess…

Upon re-inspection of the G6 Play after it has had weeks of light use- I’m weary of it’s future proofness- IMO one OEM OS update and it might be too clunky to use. The SOC seems to be just barely capable, and on a fresh install/new phone IMO thats a very bad sign as to how it will age.

Yeah, stock ROM looks relatively clean at first glance but there is still lots of stuff slowing it down.

I can say battery life with my half functional phone is kinda sick. In standby doing jack shit it drops about 5% … per DAY! I’m not joking, that seems consistent. This thing could just be stuffed in a drawer and would still have charge almost three weeks later.

Petty cool. :smiley:

81% battery, says “about 5 days of battery” lolz- that is awesome!

So after the resurrection redux I now installed an unofficial version of LineageOS from here:

It seems to have a few of the same issues but I like the OS a lot more, it is well cleaned up and very easy to use. Resurrection redux had problems reading my SD-card and no support for a fingerprint sensor. Those two things are fixed in this Lineage version. The SMS app is still buggy, I can’t install APKs like F-Droid and the camera doesn’t work so it is half usable but still more a work in progress…

The other thing I found out about was project treble and how it might be a giant pain in the ass for custom ROMs. Basically you have the Android OS separated from the drivers (which is great) but also preinstalled stuff (that is what I mean). Regardless of what ROM I install, I will always have a motorola file browser, a Dolby app, a LinkedIn app and some other shit I don’t want. I hope I can get rid of that crap somehow entirely but so far I dealt with those apps by disable, force off, clearing the caches and removing all permissions.

I’m not a fan of where this is going. :frowning_face:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I last looked at the device but that might change soon. I just found out that the kernel source for the G6 Play is finally available, actually it is for over a month now.

I’m still hoping for paranoid android or lineageOS support for this device, it would get it damn close to a perfect phone for me.

1 Like

I’d do the Z3. Its support window software wise is open for the next 2 or 3 android versions.

Seems like Motorola is stepping up their game, huh. I wonder if this one’s gonna be marked down for Balck Friday. Interested to try out MOtorola . Been both a loyal Samsun and iPhone user. Wanna change it up a bit this time

I have a Z3 play. Best phone I’ve had so far minus the not having a headphone jack.

Heard a lot of good stuff about it too. But yea, the headphone jack is something to miss really. Good thing bluetooth earphones are getting better and better nowadays.

A thing of sorta interest to others. I’ll be developing a motomod that is basically audio controls plus a battery. My idea is to find generic LI ION batteries that you can slot in like an SD card and cover, have the sound chip from their example board for a speaker, but just have it take in a headphone jack rather than speaker, and have a play / pause button on the bottom of the phone.

IDK how I’d fund it and I need a prototype first, but if theres general community interest I might push that to the top of the schedule list.

1 Like

Dang, that seems like a legitimately awesome project.

1 Like

So, after countless hours over the last six months of failing to get this phone to work with any custom rom I think I am done for good. I’ll probably give up and go with google now. They have managed to complicate it to the point where it doesn’t make sense for anyone to even try running custom stuff.

I am honestly frustrated because of this. It looks like in the near future not even the tinkerer and nerds will be able to chose IF they want to be tracked but at best might be able to pick by whom.

… I hate smartphones. All of them.

Well the tracking society is where we live in today, wheter you wanted it or not. But times change - and there’s always tradeoffs.
I found it ‘easier’ to understand and accept where we’re at today, and as such live accordingly.

If I want privacy, I’ll take the required steps to ensure I’m anonymous; separate systems on separate networks, tor & vpn, geo spoofing and leaving the usual phone somewhere else, spoofing even that devices location.

It’s like getting windows into your house for the first time but if you want privacy, pull the curtains.

This short ad has some true points so it’s worth watching:
(Not advocating, never will. People should make their own descisions, I just think what they’re saying here is true)

2 Likes

Did you try newer builds of AOSP/GSI-Treble? At least from github seems all the issues have been sorted.
I too thinking for moving from G4 play to G6 play. Any other ideas? Thanks

I gave up a while ago and got me a Nokia 6.1 running android one for around 150,- Euros. … So, I’m praising my Google overlords again.
If it’s fine now I might give it another shot but honestly I like the low budget stock android variant.

1 Like