Motherboard pendrive killer!

ok so i built my dad’s computer a few weeks back. the build went fine and the pc work perfectly fine. however as i went to put my pen drive in the back of the computer (motherboard usb ports) to put on the files it killed the mouse dead and had to be returned (a previous post of mine). The pen drive worked however but never worked right since. i also gave a old pen drive to my dad that he could use but as soon as we plugged it in to the usb port it died and the was a burning smell from the pen drive, thinking the pen drive was faulty we binned it. Today my brother went to use the computer with his pen drive and it killed it too. Can it be the usb port? it works fine with keyboards and mice though?