Motherboard for AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and Linux

Hello.
I’m looking for Motherboard for AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (vega).
What motherboard is compatible with Linux?
I would like to be able to play games on this computer (steam, playonlinux, lutris).

Linux Distro: Ubuntu 20.04

Your best bet is any B450 or X570 board, or a few select B550 (board must be verified beforehand however). Here is my setup that works pretty much flawlessly for my Linux gaming rig, mind you this is a SFF (Small Form Factor) build. Here is the PCPartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n72R8J

Component Model Price
CPU Ryzen 5 3400G $149.99
Motherboard Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro Wifi $129.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz $89.99
Storage Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2 2280 NVMe $60.54
PSU Seasonic Focus SGX 650W $129.00
Case Silverstone SG13 V2 $51.99
Total $610.50

Note: PSU can be had for $50 cheaper and motherboard for $15 (MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX) cheaper if you choose a bigger case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I personally have lots of positive experience with Linux [and Windows] on ASRock B450 boards [with Zen, Zen+ and Zen2 Ryzens, including APUs], and specifically the ASRock B450 Pro4 [ATX], ASRock B450M Pro4 [mATX], and ASRock Pantom Gaming mITX… and have no hesitation recommending them.

I posted some details here (with some uptime data).… These systems have been very stable for me…

As @wertigon stated, be very careful with B550 boards, as officially B550 does not support the 3000 series [Zen+] APUs…

I suspect the recommendations above are more in line with what you are looking for, however if you are looking for a tiny wee build for media streaming and light gaming I have a little ASRock A300M-STX (Mini-STX form factor) with Ryzen 5 3400G and thats running POP_OS. I have a couple of them, one for playing some light retro-gaming gaming (but tbh it packs a lot of punch for such a small form factor) and one for doing some file server tasks. I have had no issues with running Linux on these devices.

Oh yeah, the NUCs (and AMD clones) are solid picks too. If you have nothing against very slim to no upgrade options, the Asus PN50 or Asrock X300 Deskmini series might be worth looking into. :slight_smile:

I can’t even find a Ryzen 3400G in stock in Australia, even amazon.com is out of stock.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.