Motherboard drivers?

hi guys,

i got my pc now and i had some time to install linux (crunchbang) and the install went perfect but there was a problem. my motherboard (h87 performance ASRock) has it own lan drivers and sound drivers. some stuff that makes internet faster for games etc. but the problem is that i need a driver for that to use my internet. on the ASRock website i can only find windows drivers.

i don't have wifi, i have a really slow usb wifi card but that uses a program for windows only ofcourse. what to do?

The NIC driver should already be included with crunchbang

not working:(

my motherboard doesn't have the standard lan port etc stuff going on. when i was installing windows i had the same problem and i used the usb wifi but that's not working with crunchbang. what to do now?

could you try manjaro or sabayon, i'm mentioning these two because they come with newer drivers installed usually, as in graphic drivers at least, there are other distros that might have more drivers as well. If all fails, try going the hard way like installing Arch or Gentoo from scratch, but first make sure a live cd works

i don't think the other linux distro's have the ASRock drivers. i emailed ASRock and i'm waiting for a response. hope there are drivers for linux cuz i really don't want windows as my main os.

Can you paste the output of lspci? I'm interested in how this works out because I was considering ASRock for my new pc, but haven't done my research yet

srry what do you mean? well setting up crunchbang is really easy and i only ran into a problem after booting. you get the standard do you want this like opera or llibre office and i wanted to do that but i had no internet connection.

for the ASRock new pc part. if i don't get it to work, you need to look for any lan port special things like killer lan. some software which is good for gaming etc. if you don't buy a performance serie motherboard your fine  with ASRock. love the motherboard though. best mobo ever had. it's a h87 board but i got my i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz 1.2V :) it's 99$ if you life in the usa

In the terminal, type lspci it will list all hardware installed in the PC (excluding usb devices) this will tell you the brand of every component on board and might help with the driver search

whoohoo ASRock clompletly sucks. no response, only a standard we don't care message complain by the vender. how te fuck they the vender knows how i can run a windows driver on linux or make one by them self.

don't know if this is hard to do but can i make my own driver?

Yeah, what does lspci say? When I try to identify hardware on linux it is the first tool I use.

As for the Atheros killer network card, I find it to be mostly marketing hot air. If you want quality, get a motherboard with an Intel Nic. Broadcom makes pretty decent stuff, I really don't know if the Atheros one is really any better than standard Realtek.

i will try it tommorow (dutch timing). don't have time to boot into linux now:(. i need to be quick cuz my windows 7 hdd is almost dead. load times are really long and it makes a weird sound when it starts.

it's not really the audio that's is the issue, it's the internet which is my biggest problem. do you know more about that?

ok i had some time:) linux boottime under 10 sec:). back into windows sadly, but i got this

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 05)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6811
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device aab0
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 04)

What do you get when you run "ls /sys/class/net" ?

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)

The only network controller detected. Looks like you have a Intel Nic already. Is this your motherboard?:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20H87%20Performance/

If it is, you should be covered. You might need a newer kernel for it though, I don't know what version crunchbang uses, but looks like they run older stuff. You can find you kernel version by running "uname -r" in a terminal. You can also try "lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280" to only get the network stuff from lspci.

Found a thread on crunchbang forum:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=28700

It seems to me that crunchbang uses a bit too old kernel, you can get the drivers directly from Intel though:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-032514.htm

thanx. i will try it next week cuz i don't have time now. hope it works cuz windows 7 sucks so hard:(