Monitor Thread

Hey everyone. I’m a full-time web developer (Java BED). I commonly work anywhere from 40-60hrs a week. If I have the time I also like to play PC games (anything really) and will very rarely even stream.

I’m looking to buy/build an ergonomic home office space. I have already made decisions on a keyboard and desk and was wondering what monitors people would recommend. While I wouldn’t say I’m on a tight budget, I tend to like items that offer great value for the price.

I’m currently looking at the Pixio PX277 thanks to one of Level1Techs reviews. My only complaints are that it is 27in instead of +30in and it looks pretty “gamer-esque”. I like that its IPS, fairly large, high-resolution (more work space), and still has a high enough refresh rate/low enough latency to play games.

Let me know if you have any recommendations or other considerations I should be making.

I will never not recommend my monitor.
AOC Q3278VWFD8
It’s a 32" 1440p 75Hz IPS Freesync monitor.
If you pair it up with any 24" 1080p monitor you will have pixel perfect transition from screen to screen with no distortion.
The 32" have no noticeable backlight bleeding, no uniformity issues, pretty much no problems except for one. The big one.
The stand is garbage. Absolute garbage. And lacking VESA mount that issue can’t really be solved.but the screen is so nice it’s not even funny for the laughable 220€ I payed for it 2 years ago.

1 Like

I do like the idea of a seamless transition to a second 1080p monitor. No VESA mount might be a deal breaker for me though. I really like monitor arms for ergo stuff.

1 Like

I can recommend my current monitor, the AOC Q27P2. ( 27" 1440p 75hz IPS)
It has a powered usb hub, a pretty good stand and VESA mount .
Unfortunately it does have some backlight bleed around the corners.
I can’t test for color accuracy, but it has the widest color gamut out of all my monitors.

1 Like

Thats two votes AOC. I’ll definitely investigate the brand a bit more now. Thanks for the recc.!

1 Like

I do understand that. I hate the stand as well… VESA should be a requirement, not an extra in monitors…

2 Likes

I can maybe understand that for the bottom of the barrel cheap ones. But past the 250€/$ mark, no Vesa, no interest from me.

2 Likes

Does anyone sell VESA-only cheap monitors, i.e. without a stand at all?

In the long run, that seems an efficient place to cut costs; a user could buy a monitor and a standardised stand separately then update only the necessary half when needed.

Edit: or is the issue that everything else about stands apart from the attachment mechanism is not standardised, and it would be far to easy for users to combine a stand and monitor that together are unstable and prone to fall over?

1 Like

I’m not sure about the follow up edit. Most people who would want a monitor w/o a stand would probably use a monitor arm. That being said if anyone does find a seller/manufacturer who skips the stand and passes on the savings, definitely post it in this thread.

My point, or question rather, is why not use VESA for everything? It seems as though for all monitors I have seen,

Monitor → Arm : uses standard VESA
Monitor → Stand : uses proprietary mechanism

Why not use the same mechanism for both? Would that not make the monitor design simpler, giving more cost savings than just the reduced material cost for a stand? Additionally then you could mix+match between brands if your monitor breaks, and your friend’s stand breaks.

2 Likes

Ah that makes more sense. Yeah probably just for avoiding an increase in warranty claims. People might put something with the wrong support base on and mess up their panel

Can I sell you a new stand for my monitor if you can buy decent cheap monitor arm?
What is good for the consumer is rarely good for the profit margins. And i love the people that tell me that the companies need to make money. Well they can make money by not fucking up the consumer…

Though as another idea, you could just standardize support bases to monitor sizes e.g. this support base is intended for VESA panels up 27", etc and push manufacturers to conform via good marketing

1 Like

I actually don’t think this is always true of competitive markets. If somebody can sell a panel cheaper because they cut the stand, and consumers are willing to buy it, they will probably actually win a niche market segment without increasing any corporate costs.

1 Like

Yes, because many people do not want to deal with a monitor arm, which might require more permanent methods of attachment (desk clamp, wall mount) than simply place-on-desk. A monitor on a stand can be easily moved from room to room with comparatively little effort.

Edit: Also, a consumer might not know which brands of cheap monitor arms are good, and would prefer to go with the OEM they are buying the monitor from anyway.

1 Like

I’m just gonna say it. I am much happier with my VESA-less panel that is amazing compared to my other monitor that is not great but it has VESA stand…

1 Like

Yeah thats fair. I just feel like I can get a good panel and vesa these days. Like the Pixio looks nice and after checking out some Korean panels, those look nice too (Need to figure out how warranty, etc. is gonna work)

1 Like

Personally I would probably take that trade-off too, but I like the future-proofing of a VESA mount; in case the stand breaks or I want to repurpose it in a different orientation a few years down the road.

2 Likes

I mean if my only options were a good panel, or an average panel with vesa, i’d take the good panel 10 times out of 10. That being said, those are not my only options

1 Like

Not to bump a practically dead thread, but after further review (and an amazon coupon), I decided to go with the Pixio PX277. Its actually been a great monitor now that I’ve done a bit of manual calibration (it was pretty washed-out out-of-the-box). There is almost no backlight bleed (barely noticeable on an all black screen in a dark room). This is my first monitor so I dont really have much of a comparison other than what I’ve used in university. I will say that I wholeheartedly recommend if you dont mind monkeying about with color settings.