Monitor Overclocking - Out of Range Overlay

Was just playing around with how far I could push the refresh rate on my LG 34UC88 when I managed a seemingly stable 90 Hz (the monitor is rated to 75Hz with Freesync. The only problem is anywhere past 80Hz causes an ‘Out of Range’ message to be overlayed in the center of the screen, which is an overlay from the monitor itself.

Is anyone aware of a tool to remove this overlay, or should I stop looking for one as this is damaging my monitor even though the UFO test indicated that it was stable?

Thanks for your help.

Pretty sure you won’t be able to remove it. It is odd that the monitor is working and stable while displaying it though. Usually that happens when you go past what it can display and the screen goes black. Shame really in your case but it is built into the monitors firmware.

Yea, must be something LG has done in the firmware. Erghh…annoying because I was stable 10hz above where it lets me be, with no issues. I feel like it could do more but no point testing if i cant get rid of that overlay.

Even at 81 (1hz over what it lets me), the monitor brings up the message; this pretty much confirms that it is in the firmware. I wish there was a custom firmware or something.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Any luck with this? I was able to overclock my 144hz monitor to 158hz stable, but the warning comes on whenever I go above 153hz. Also does anyone know how to increase freesync range to 153 or 158hz? Whenever I try to with CRU the monitor will either stop showing as freesync compatible or will only refresh at half of the frame rate once the frame rate goes above 144 fps.

I don’t really understand the whole point of monitor overclocking, Risk potentially borking something for an extra 30hz seems a bit daft. Why not just but something above 100hz to begin with?

is the difference between 60hz & 90hz really that game changing to run the risk?

If you can get to 90hz from a 60hz native panel, then hell yeah. I only ever got 72/3hz out of my two very different panels.

It is not really risky, its is similar to home gamer CPU/GPU over clocking only a little more hands on and less one click. It is works, free performance boost, if it does not well just roll back and live with it.

I managed to get my 240hz to 290hz stable but with the watermark

I’ve also got a 34UC88-W and … yeah, I want the watermark gone.

Did you ever found a fix? i got my 34gn850-b running at 210hz but i cant get rid of the watermark

Unfortunately not. I don’t think there is a fix