Monitor issues

I have a 7850 and I've recently clean installed the 17.4.4 drivers, now when I log into windows my screen will flicker, then it goes away and never happens again until I reboot then login again and if I change the core or memory clocks to anything except the stock settings, my second monitor flickers, any suggestions on what I should do about that? Should I find an old driver or try the optional 17.5.1 driver? (note I had the second issue before with 17.4.3 as well)

Are you mixing 144hz and 60hz?

Probably should've mentioned that they both run at 60hz and yeah I thought that might've been the issue, but in dual setup it only has an issue if I start playing with the clocks, either up or down, even if it's only 1mhz change.
Edit: Oh right, it's also not the card idling, if I startup a game or whatever, that doesn't resolve the issue either.

You could super old drivers or something

but otherwise have you always had these issues? It's unlikely to be the cables unless you have some other ones lying around to test, maybe try different connectors on the GPU

No I reinstalled windows 7 about a month ago, followed by installing the latest drivers, which I had the older 17.1 drivers on my previous installation, I think that was just before they released ReLive, I've only been having the screen flicker on login since 17.4.4 but I suspect it could've been caused by other factors of me screwing with the settings trying to fix my dual-monitor issue and I dunno how long that problem has existed as I tend to use the second screen for occasional use.

I'll check the cables but I'm also downloading 17. 1/2/3 to see if going back a few versions helps.

Older drivers are probably your best bet

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, so update, I installed 17.5.1 which had the same issues, so then I went ahead and did a clean uninstall and installed 17.1.2 and while it's still too early to say for sure overclocking works, but it was a success!

However, I am still having that issue where I get a flickery/jumpy screen after I login, even though I'm glad I've resolved the more important issue, that rather minor thing still quite urks me.

Might just be down to the GPU itself, least the RX 570 is relatively cheap for it's performance

Ehhh it could be, but it's not been doing it until just recently and only for a second after the login, I however I do plan on trying to reinstall my OS again onto another drive to see if the issue persists. (although that's a lot more trouble so might be a while before I get around to it)

As for a new GPU, I'm thinking if I do get one I'll get an R9 280/380 (x) as they go for about $120 and have fairly similar performance.

Not worth it, those are just 7950/70s effectively, only a small jump overall

I'd find the extra $60 or so and get a $180 RX 570
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bxM323/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-4gb-pulse-video-card-11266-04-20g

Obviously these slides are biased, but they get the point across

Yeah, but I don't need anything more than that, I don't do eyefinity or anything fancy, just your typical 1080p 60fps gaming on mid-high settings and the 7850 already does that fairly well as it is now, I wouldn't mind getting a 470/480 if I find one for around $150-ish but I have little plans to to spend anymore than that, right now I'm more interested in expanding my storage than getting a new card...
(the extra $60-$80 may not sound like much but that's basically the cost of a new 3TB drive or a new SSD and it's about time I start to retire some drives.)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n2JwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca300

Also, might should mention that I don't even play games nearly as much as I used to and some of the most demanding games I usually play are older games such as STALKER or Skyrim.

then maybe try to find a cheap used 290 to 390X, it's mostly just so you'd never really need to replace the card for what you do, and if you play modified skyrim the 8gbs of VRAM would come in handy

the 470/570 should dip to $150 while on sale