Model M + usb2ps2 adapter not working

So I got it, and with the keyboard guy gave me this ps2 adapter, and with it when I plug it into my linux machine the adapter is clearly giving power to the keyboard however it lacks actually registering keystrokes, the guy I bought it from says if it doesn’t work he’ll give me another, but until then I want to use my newly found model M, so do you think it is the adapter or the keyboard itself?

**TLDR:**Model M + ps2 adapter isn’t working, you think PS2 or Model M

• Model M
  • Ps2 adapter

0 voters

Mine did something similar when I first got it. It started working randomly after a few restarts of the computer.

So my vote is neither.

EDIT: Try plugging it into a USB 2.0 port. If not, clearing CMOS might fix it.

I don’t know whether it matters, but I’m on linux, however the page says that linux is supported. Also I am on a laptop but I don’t think that it really matters.

The adapter you are using is probably not great.
If you find one thats just keyboard to USB it might work better.

However on some of my PS/2 keyboards anything thats not an active adapter doesnt work at all. Lights power up but no keystrokes.
So you probably should just either use a PS/2 port on your system.
Or find/make an active adapter. Like the Soarers converter.
Which you can either wire yourself or buy on ebay for $40.

Legacy BIOS settings? I turn off a lot of COM ports n whatnot when I set up a rig, but usually leave the legacy stuff and USB related stuff turned on. Then again all of my mobo’s have PS/2’s so I haven’t had problems with my older keyboards.

EDIT - You could try running lsusb to see if the system sees the adapter. If it doesn’t show even with legacy options enabled then it may be broken. You can usually run it once unplugged n then again plugged in to see if it is added to the list.

In neither thread you wrote if you have a PS/2 port but… If you have a PS/2 Port use it. If the keyboard works, keep using it (it’s technically better anyway), if not it’s (probably) the keyboard.

Also try it at a friends PC if you have one (a friend that is :smirk: ) with a PS/2 port to rule out a main board issue.

find an active converter, with the keyword being “active”. they are on ebay for ~1$.

Something like this Link

Closed on request