Mitigating effects of bottlenecking

See… that’s what i’ve been speculating. If I keep my 4GB 960… what kind of settings would I need to turn down to to get 60 FPS 1440p? If it’s something reasonable, I would go for that option. I really don’t want another GPU until I see what the new consoles have for GPUs. I like 100-150% more performance.

From what I gathered, the Switch has a more powerful CPU than any other console. GPU might not be, but the Cortex it’s got is apparently faster than the One X’s higher clocked Jaguar cores. Supposedly. Wouldn’t surprise me. Those things are literally for tablets.

Not sure what you’d need to get 60fps with a 960. Maxwell is missing a bunch of stuff doom can make use of.

But. You could likely get 60 fps on an rx560 with closer to max details in 1080p (likely VRAM limited).

I could get up near 80-100 from memory on an rx480 in 1080p.

And those cards are cheap! If you can find an rx470 it will likely get you what you want for little money. Until next generation cards.

My 960 runs Doom 2016 maxed out without a hitch. I’m talking about 1440p. I run at 1680 x 1050, which is a negligible difference in terms of performance hit. So 1080p would be the same. And my bad, i’m not being specific enough, i’m speculating about Doom Eternal, and how far i’d have to turn down the settings for 1440p 60FPS. Hell, experimenting with Doom might be a good starting point. But I don’t have the 1440p monitor yet.

Does 1080p at 27" really look that bad? People keep bitching about it, as if it looks like throwing dirt in your eyes.

Hmm not sure.

Actually when i was talking about 1080p, i was actually using 2560x1080… not 1920x1080, so half-way from 1080p to 1440p or so.

People bitch about all kinds of stuff. IMHO, at the frame rate Doom runs at you could probably almost run at 480p and it would be fast and smooth enough to not really matter.

But then i spent a lot of time playing the original doom in 320x240, so…

If you’re wondering about Eternal and don’t have the monitor yet, i’d suggest to just give it a try when the monitor rocks up with Doom 2016 and see how it goes.

I doubt Doom Eternal will be more than 10-20% different, and cards are only going to get cheaper, so waiting until the monitor and/or Doom eternal shows up won’t hurt financially.

I really don’t wanna upgrade until the next generation of cards. AMD has a response to RTX Super which is looking like it’s a better value. Then I want Nvidia to respond and then i’ll do the GPU upgrade.

Also, it never occurred to me until now, if I go with an AMD card, wouldn’t I lose features like Hairworks? Do Nvidia enable that on AMD cards?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.