Mining Rig/Network Weirdness/Issues

Ok, So I’ll try to be as thorough as possible. I’m having network issues. Here’s what I’ve done trying to figure it out.

Problem: When I turn my second ASIC L3+ miner onto my network it starts creating lag/latency spikes. Also on Nicehash it becomes unstable due to the connection problems when the second is running. Things like Discord, Facebook and other various streaming socket type services you can notice the disconnection issues.

The Issue even pops up on entire network, not just on the switch. My PC is on a cable directly to the router, so it happens on entire network.

What I’ve done to try to solve the issue…

• Moved all power cables as far away from Data cat6 cables to each rig.
  • The Asic L3+'s both running on a PDU thats more than capable of running both (240v)
    Though I’ve already taken one off and put it on its own 115v circuit and still same issue.
  • Each rig is on a switch, I had an old cheap Dlink on it previously 5 port, I’ve recently upgraded it to a netgear 8 port - Problem still persists.
  • I have tried changing ports which is connected through my LINKSYS EA7500 Router. - Problem still there.
  • Plugged one of the L3+ directly into router instead of switch - still same issue.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Notes:

I know that the older L3+ works fine and is stable. Going to run the new L3+ for an hour or so make sure its stable too Pretty sure its fine, though think ive done this step already tbh.

I really don’t know how this is possible. Do you have a managed switch? If so, turn on port mirroring on that port and wireshark it. See if there’s any funny business.

I’m not an expert on ASIC’s. Is this a self-contained computer that plugs directly into the network? If so, have you tried firmware updates, factory resets or whatever?

Yeah there is firmware updates but the machine says its running the current version that’s listed on their site. However I didn’t download it and update it. Just checked the dates. The Switch i bought to replace the shity dlink which im using now is: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108Tv2.aspx

I could give the wireshark a go.

-edit-
Just find it strange tho if the new L3+ works fine solo there shouldn’t be a NIC issue with the rig its self. So wiresharking would be pointless? maybe im wrong.

I’m thinking that it’s doing something to cause a lot of network traffic.

How many of them are you running and what’s your internet allocations? It’s possible your internet can’t support all the devices. Have you isolated the device to make sure it’s not being caused by the combination of them all?

EDIT: I’m dumb, you have two and you’ve tested that it works fine solo. Disregard everything I said. Let me think for a minute.

1 Like

It’s cool I’ve been asking all over the net now for help, I’m stumping my self and all my friends who mine too haha.

-edit-
I’m doing a new test run for longer this time to make sure everything is stable on the new L3+ as of right now its been running for 10 minutes and no issues. Even while I have a GPU x6 1070 rig going on the same switch as it.

Just only seems to happen if two L3+'s ASICs are running at same time.

I’d wireshark it to check if they’re trying to communicate with eachother. If they are, you’re likely running into a broadcast error.

If we can see the traffic coming from the device, we can then take steps to identify what’s causing the problem.

Disclaimer: I’m not a network admin, but do have experience working with enterprise networking and sorting out these sort of problems, so my experience only goes so far.

I’ll have to look into how to use wireshark over linux in a bit, havn’t done any wiresharking on linux before since i moved over from windows a few years ago.

Which distro are you on?

just install the package for it, probably wireshark, and run it as root. Aside from that, it’s the same as Windows.

Yeah, thought as much just havn’t installed it yet. I’ll get the repo in a bit. Just running the new miner solo again to verify its ok. 18m so far its good. no network issues.

1 Like

Oh btw the switch has Storm Control, I guess i could enable that. Supposedly its supposed to help with flooding of packets.

I would first give that a try.

Lots of time, internet connectivity issues (especially over Docsis 3 and derivatives) are the result of packet storms from P2P software. Not sure what’s backing the miner, but that’s definitely an option.

But then again it shouldnt be an issue because as mentioned… I did run the 2nd L3+ miner directly to the router and it still caused issues so cant be anything to do with swtich…

However the router could be the culprit. Just dont think the router would be the problem argh… It’s pretty new only had it half a year or so now. And its a decent one too.

-edit-
New L3+ been running now for 30m and no problems.

The switch would control an issue coming from the miners.

One miner could be storming at a level below the noticeable threshold, but the second miner brings you above the threshold to make it noticeable.

Looks like it’s good. The issues usually start happening almost immediately, right?

Bring the second miner online and check.

Ah your right, well It has Flow control, and storm control so ill enable both.

I would start with just storm control. Flow control is a bit more advanced and can cause issues if not configured properly.

If your router has a statistics page, take a look at it and see if anything looks funny on it while the issues are happening.

I wish it had a statistics page. Even tho Linksys is like home brand of Cisco really need to give more admin options.

True. Let me look more closely at the model you have.

EA7500 https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA7500/

1 Like

How are the miners IP addresses assigned? If they are configured by default to use the same static IP that would cause problems, but once there’s several of them.

1 Like

All done via DHCP Each has their own IP address which is used to enter the configuration of each of them so thats not the issue.