Minimum Viable General-Purpose VM Server

It’s been a while, but I don’t remember having had much success with that. Recently, I read about an AGESA patch that added an option to the BIOS to fix this, but mixed reports on whether it worked or not (kind of a theme at this point, right?).

Also, disabling C-states means losing burst perf and efficiency percentage points (which, if nothing else, makes me sad). Windows implicitly does basically this and that’s why I’ve never seen anything faster than base clocks.

These days I use my Ryzen for games and the machine is never up more than 2 days before a poweroff (it’s running Win 10).

When running VMs you’re not gonna see the machine in the super low power stages anyway. And the first point about performance… I simply don’t think that is correct. I had disabled C-states on all of my Ryzen machines (quite a few at this point) and I haven’t seen a lack of performance. My X470 Taichi Ultimate with a 3900X is still pushing 7200 points in Cinebench R20 and my 2700X before that was boosting 4.3GHz single core all the time. All running linux.

Apples and oranges. You’re talking about different chips on different boards at a different point in time.

I think I’ll try out your suggestion with the BIOS and OS versions of today though.

Wait a second, you have a Ryzen 7 1700 for gaming and are looking for a platform for VMs, right?

Just get a B450 board and a 3600 for games and some ECC memory for the 1700 for the server and you’re good. The Asus Prime X370 Pro is running my SSD NAS as I said, it works fine with ECC memory.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.