Minecraft server not visible outside local network

Oh that is true, I forgot about Hamachi!
First I'll try with the VPN service I already pay and see if it can work easily for my Raspberry as well. If not, I'll definitely go with Hamachi.

Thank for all the good options guys!

No problem. Most VPN providers give you a private IP not a public one ... If you are running VPN already that might be the problem too. If the VPN is configured on your router that would likely why you are getting the private IP this could be the case if you are running VPN on the Box that is hosting Your Minecraft server.

I'm running a VPN from my main pc not the router, I just installed a client from PrivateInternetAccess.

are you using that PC to host the server?

Nope, I'm running it on a Raspberry.

OK that is not the problem. Just wanted to make sure.

are you running Vanilla or modded minecraft?

I tried with both, first vanilla then Spigot. But the server wasn't visible in both cases.

OK just be aware that the Pie might not be able to keep up. I have had problems where a server cant keep up and then appear as not visable a short time after a user logs in (but this is not your problem ... as of now) but something to watch out for. In my case this happened when I had to much buildcraft things going in my world.

The server is basically new and really small generated area just to test if it can work. Vanilla was terrible, up to thousands of milliseconds of lag, cannot keep up at all even in a local environment. Spigot is doing an amazing job so far but the server is really small so I have no idea what the case will be in a real usage scenario!

It would have to be pretty weak though, unless you have a lot of players on the server.

I've somehow managed to run a 10 player server on an old laptop with a single core Intel Centrino. 90nm, Dothan architecture, 1.5gb of ram. It was loaded up with bukkit plugins as well.

The server properties I set up doesn't expect more than 6 players. It is just for a small bunch of friends.

How do you have your router setup?

It could be possible that the line coming into the apartment has a router which goes out to the apartment rooms. You adding an additional router for your own house results in kind of a secondary router network, as well as a wireless access point that you connect to.

You can port forward from your router to your rPi for proper server connectivity, but maybe your port is still closed from the outside since the main apartment's router isn't portforwarding 25565 to your personal router.

Or I could be spouting complete bogus. I've hosted on my own network before, but I'm still relatively lacking in this area.

I have used hamachi back in ye old days when I was a hosting newbie with decent success.

RAM is Key I'm concerned that the Pi might not have quiet enough RAM to run a modded server well. esp if its a version 1

That is basically what we discussed before. There a router that manages the building's network to which I cannot have access and forward my desired ports. What I am doing now is set up a VPN tunnel between my raspberry and the vpn service I'm paying.

It is a version 2 with 1GB of ram. I know it is not optimal but I am doing this mostly for fun =)

Yeak, I'm not expecting great performances, but at least I'd like to make it work.

You might try to enable IPv6 on your router on the Wan side. If the building router and the ISP support it and you get a IPv6 address that might work for you too.

1 Like

Errr it will likely work but the WIKI calls for 2 gig so it will likely be laggy.

Requirements Players CPU RAM HDD/SSD [hide]Notes
Minimum 20-40 Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 x2 2GB At least 150MB for world saves Be sure to have at least a low-ping internet connection.
(Such as DSL or Cable)

Recommended 30-60 Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 x2 3GB At least 200MB for world saves Be sure to have at least a low-ping internet connection.
(Such as DSL or Cable)

Best 60+ Intel Core i7-4790k 8GB At least 200MB SSD Be sure to have at least a low-ping internet connection.
(Such as DSL or Cable)

You could definitely try that, but I'm not sure if that's possible/would work at all. Wouldn't the packets still have to come through the router that the apartment managers control? I'd think you'd have to have software on at least your end to do something like that. Tunneling through a VPN would make things a bit laggier as well, although I suppose it's not that huge of a deal with Minecraft(just that laggy mobs would be annoying).

I'm definitely not well versed in this area, but it's something to think about and I wish you good luck getting your server setup. Since you only have a couple friends to connect to, LogMeIn Hamachi is free for 5-6 people last time I used it and would be a good way to go with if VPN tunneling voodoo doesn't work out.

1 Like

I'll try that as well in case. But I need to read about it, I've never setup an IPv6 network before!