Minecraft Server Crashes

Just getting my Minecraft server up and running on Windows Server 2008. Got all the ports added in to the firewall. After a minute or two playing on the server the server closed the connection.

Server Specs:
Dell XPS Gen 4
-Intel Pentium 4 @3.4 Ghz
-2GB Kingston Ram
-WDC 40GB HDD (OS Drive)
-WD Green 500GB HDD for storage
-WD Blue 320GB HDD for the Minecraft Server

Here is the log I dug up:
[12:43:14] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.8.8
[12:43:14] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading properties
[12:43:14] [Server thread/INFO]: Default game type: SURVIVAL
[12:43:14] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating keypair
[12:43:15] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
[12:43:15] [Server thread/INFO]: Using default channel type
[12:43:16] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "world"
[12:43:16] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing start region for level 0
[12:43:17] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 34%
[12:43:18] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 89%
[12:43:18] [Server thread/INFO]: Done (2.619s)! For help, type "help" or "?"
[12:56:06] [User Authenticator #1/INFO]: UUID of player SkullAbyss is d940df33-49ad-488f-b3af-4db44da757ba
[12:56:07] [Server thread/INFO]: SkullAbyss[/192.168.3.26:53850] logged in with entity id 271 at (-157.5, 77.0, 244.5)
[12:56:07] [Server thread/INFO]: SkullAbyss joined the game
[12:56:28] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 21370ms behind, skipping 427 tick(s)
[12:56:36] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 7584ms behind, skipping 151 tick(s)
[12:56:57] [Server thread/INFO]: SkullAbyss has just earned the achievement [Taking Inventory]
[12:58:06] [Server Watchdog/FATAL]: A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)
[12:58:06] [Server Watchdog/FATAL]: Considering it to be crashed, server will forcibly shutdown.
[12:58:07] [Server Watchdog/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: D:\Minecraft Server.\crash-reports\crash-2015-09-22_12.58.07-server.txt

Ideas on all of this? I am still fairly new to the minecraft server stuff

What kind of server are you running?
also post the crash report listed

Just a simple mine-craft server. Just for a max of 5 players. Seeing me and some of my friends often play together.

so you downloaded java, then went to minecraft.net and downloaded the server exe? launch it and it crashes?

After a couple of minutes. I also posted the entire log in the post along side in case you missed that.

owh that IS the log, i thought that was just the console saying that. lol

Kind of a little irritated, so I do apologize for being a little grumpy

I've never used the windows server file so give me a bit to see if i can find anything,

Anything similar with Linux?

Well with linux you just download java, and run the .jar server file instead of the exe and everything is ran in a terminal not the windows minecraft server window, it is possible that your computer just can ant run minecraft well enough to support users

for one running server 2008 on 2GB of ram you are probably already out of ram at this point. then trying to run minecraft on top of that I don't think it will work.

I'm not even using 512MB of ram with Windows Server. I have about 1.25GB of ram set aside for Minecraft

If no one connects to the server does it still crash?

So far so good on that.

Logged in crashed on me as soon as I started attacking a creeper

OK if you open the task manager on the server 08, can you watch it as you login to the Minecraft server see what the ram and processor usage is.

A side note with Microsoft you technically need a client access license for every person or per device that connects to the server. But this wouldn't make Minecraft crash. And it is doubtful that they would attempt to get you to become inspec for license. Also they may not be required if you only run Minecraft.

Seems like a CPU problem to me. A Tick is a cycle in which the world is calculated. The log entries:

[12:56:28] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 21370ms behind, skipping 427 tick(s)

Since the system time never changed your CPU might just be too slow.

[12:58:06] [Server Watchdog/FATAL]: A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)

Also indicates your CPU being too slow to calculate the things that happen in due time. You do not really notice it until it crashes as a client since Minecraft does client-side buffering.

Maybe it's because your map is new. I would try pregenerating a number of chunks (you need a mod for that, it's serverside only) or trying out a Savegame from your client that does have all the chunks generated in viewing distance.

1 Like

I'll have to look into that for sure. It worked well before I overhauled my network. Before the overhaul my LAN speed was at 10/100 speeds. Now running at gigabit speeds. Idk if that would make a difference or not

I second that it is a CPU issue. I had minecraft server running on a RaspberryPi B, and it would load the world but the second a player went in and did it would give the exact same errors. I monitored the RAM and everything, there was plenty of RAM to use but the CPU was maxed out. Try monitoring your CPU usage.

If you look on Intels Ark about your CPU, it is a single core, and the minimum recommended specs; is a dual core like the Pentium D. There is too much strain on the CPU, it doesnt matter how much you OC it is just a single core.

First off. Wrong gen Pentium 4, I have the Pentium 4 550 LGA775. Granted it is an oldie, It handled minecraft real nicely when using Linux, that was before I upgraded my LAN to gigabit. Seeing the CPU has to REALLY process that throughput. Just a theory of course. While I was using Linux, it handled about 4 players at once doing a few medium sized tasks with dynamite.