Migrating to Linux, is the SlimBook EXECUTIVE 16 a good option? Do I even have one?

Nothing here with a couple of singular exceptions is helpful.

Please do not flex your e-peen in a thread asking for advice.

Please do not debate if the OS that OP has already chose is the best choice, when OP is asking for hardware recommendations.

Please do not get into passive-aggressive arguments with other members serving to derail a thread.

Please do not provide advice as if you are an expert if you are not, in fact, an expert.

If you have done any of the above, you have not put your best foot forward. You have also likely given OP a poor impression of the forum.

4 Likes

How well does MS teams works on Linux, does screen share work?

Hmm does look like screen share has been not implemented on Linux WebEx yet.

If I was OP I would start testing these on old hardware.

All I see is support for the server but not desktop.

Should be fine

Subline has a Linux port and there are tons of text editors for Linux

Most of the hardware stuff should be fine.

DOW 2 and Skyrim should be ok checked protondb for both

General day 1 AAA gaming isn’t great on Linux but that doesn’t seem to be an issue for you.

There is a surprising amount of 3rd party apps, widgets and plugins for hue on Linux.

Definitely would start dipping my toe with a VM or any spare old hardware just to reduce “culture shock”

Linux is not free Windows and I will leave it at that.

3 Likes

Works fine tbh, have not tried screen share, might be as wonky as the screen share in Discord, so with Wayland, just black screen or no window sharing.

1 Like

You have a very sizable list of requirements, so honestly I wouldn’t think it’s feasible just moving over to Linux and dropping Windows in one go. I don’t think anyone can give you a definitive YES or NO for each of your use cases with maybe few exceptions (like browsers and such).

My advice from personal experience (as an enthusiast, not expert or computer scientist) is to do it in stages, pick hardware that has good Linux support and have an alternative when things don’t work and you can’t fix it fast enough.
Try and move workflows over one by one and see how things go…

1 Like

110% this, you said it better than I could. :slight_smile:

I think OP will have a poor time right now switching over everything he wants. Some is possible out of box, some is possible with some or a lot of tweaking, and some just requires too much relearning to be feasible in the short term. Like I said before, start with setting up a Linux machine and gradually move your work over to the Linux machine. Don’t try to eat the proverbial elephant in a single bite.

1 Like

Thank you very much
I was quite overwhelmed by the content of the answers really.

@lesser thank you for helping on the app specifics

@lurk3r thank you very much for helping me verify if the slimbook option for my slightly phased migration… especially since I actually have a need for a lightweight and powerful laptop.

I recognize that learning will take time, and probably “hurt a bit”. I am not against actually. It’s more, change is scary, even if I acknowledge it. So I am looking for items I can use to chip out pieces of the fear and anxiety of the monstrous sized change. The more items that I rely on being painless, or minorly painful the less the fear. Its also just the fear of not being able to work/do critical items when I need to lolol.

Anyway.

Would the following be a source of issues if the laptop has Thunderbolt 4 (I know its fine on Windows and MacOS, I assume here too, but just in case)

1. Thunderbolt 3 dock for connection to two 27" monitors

Also would the following be an issue with either Linux or maybe the hardware of the Slimbook Executive (I assume not, but just double checking)

1. Have a large USB hub with 10 ports that connects several other devices to laptop, and also charges them
2 Likes

As per Arch wiki it is a default driver, id est works out of the box.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Thunderbolt

the 16" has a smaller battery than the 14".
The Storage model from Tuxedo is less than the 16" but otherwise same hardware. Both are 14" but have a dedicated graphics card, being nVidia. I would not suggest to walk that road.

Having found something that won’t be inducing headaches, might be still be handicapped by the only 16GB of ram and 4 USB ports at 10GBps which, if my calculations are to be trusted enough to run an USB hub for atleast 3 screens and some other peripherals.

But overall this could be the best found so far, depending on the configuration you find; it is a 16:9 screen “thin n light”. It can have up to 64GB ram and has 4 USB 20GBps ports which definitely should suffice. And a big 82Whr battery being bigger than the 16" and the Tuxedo’s.

On the topic of USB4, which I find bothering, but still needed to be addressed:
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-54-03

What is USB 4.0? - Bitwarsoft

Few more markings that you can decipher
What's the Difference Between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C?

The battery means “Power Delivery:tm:” which should enable your laptop to get power through the port.
Your Guide to USB-C: The Cable Today You'll Need for Tomorrow

The computer world is really cool in the way that you can almost do any combination. Sadly sometimes combinations like adding an integrated graphics expansion card is not properly supported after the CPU but mostly almost anything works. And be sure always to ask for a free return if the laptop doesn’t work with the peripherals. One time I had a laptop that couldn’t boot off my USB that I needed for school, I already had installed Linux on it but they still took the return.

Further laptops I found listed: https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/advantage
Laptops: Best Lenovo Laptop Computers & 2-in-1s | Lenovo UK
https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/
There is also a big refurbished market, and if you order in Europe you can also checkout:
https://mindfactory.de

1 Like

OP, I will speak on the hardware side of things.

I just acquired a Lenovo Thinkpad X13 Gen 3 AMD setup. It is the bee’s knees. Everything works with the Linux kernel out the gate as long as you are on kernel 5.18. If you plan on gaming and don’t want a discreet GPU, an all AMD build is the way to go. For that, I recommend a Thinkpad T series Gen 3 with AMD. I don’t know if you need a 16 inch or not. I like smaller laptops because I have a desktop for heavy lifting and prolong productivity.

If you need a 16 inch and need the option for discreet GPU, then I would recommend the Thinkpad Z16. You can get it with an nVidia 3070 mobile card. There are also P series options as well. My bias is that if you come from the world of thinkpads, stick with thinkpads. The Linux support is good enough for most people and all major things are supported. The Gen 3 AMD X13 and T14s both have USB4.TB3 support and can be plugged into docks or external GPUs.

Now if you want to support a Linux first company then my recommendations are Tuxedo or System76. I have bought many a kit from System76. The cost of Tuxedo gear is pretty expensive to ship here to the USA.

2 Likes

Tuxedo are Clevo rebrands in most if not all cases so you might just go for a Clevo branded from the start.

If you’re in Europe you can find GigaByte U4 series with i5 CPUs for less than 500 EUR occationally which is a steal and it’s a Clevo L140MU rebrand.

2 Likes

Are clevo rebrands purely cosmetic? Do the brands do something with their own optimization and custom circuitry and other things to differentiate themselves with other rebrands? Will drivers work across the rebrands?

I haven’t looked into all rebrands but most does seem to be cosmetic, there might be some options regarding battery size for example though

1 Like

As far as I can tell, they’re all just cosmetic. Might be some firmware-level stuff, like system76 with coreboot…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.