The time has come to get new hardware, specifically replace my trusty Thinkpad P50 (with Quadro M2220M 4GB) behemoth.
Windows 11 dominates everywhere, and I want no part of it, as it seriously hampers me in the UX.
So I thought time to move my primary machine to Linux.
My Use Case details:
- Heavy utilization of Slack (Huddle feature) with Screenshare
- Heavy utilization of Teams with Screenshare
- Heavy utilization of Webex with Screenshare
- Heavy utilization of Office Application with live editing for work (workplace is MS heavy)
- Regular Powershell script making and execution (for work and play, especially data analysis and API calls)
- Several times a week utilization of VSCode to write JS, Powershell, & Python
- Heavy utilization of Firefox for ServiceNow dev + admin work
- Occasional use of Power BI
- Occasional use of Tableau
- Heavy Use of Edge for Outlook OWA and related PWA
- Regular use of VMware Horizon VDI client
- Sublime + Notepad++ for different types of notes
- Typora for Markdown writing (WYSIWYG)
- Heavy usage of Brave for normal browsing (including 100s of tabs, with 70+ often just being youtube vids that im gonna watch while working)
- (High usage but low priority) Bluetooth headset for music, vids and meetings Surface Headset
- Logitech MX keys as bluetooth keyboard
- Thunderbolt 3 dock for connection to two 27" monitors
- New upcoming need to be more mobile (going to office with this laptop twice a week, and also moving around with laptop around the house multiple times a week)
- Google Drive as online backup for storage (there is local too in secondary ssd)
- Philips Hue to control lights and stuff in home office (not my choice)(med priority)
- Heavy utilization of WhatsApp on desktop (Low priority)
- I am a gamer but I have like 90mins per week to do so
- I like making crappy mods for my own personal entertainment.
- I like adding mods to 3 of my most important games (Dawn of War 2: retribution (Elite Mod), Skyrim)
- Like to try out new games
- Games most often played despite “old” (DOW 2 Retribution Elite Mod, Skyrim, Rocket League)
- I occasionally utilize services like Shadow for High End gaming
- Connect to internet primarily via WIFI, even for fast twitch multiplayer games (as the quality is good and bufferbloat is low)
- Utilize laptop for both work and play.
- Despite my love for tweaking, this machine needs to be stable and reliable, yet relatively up to date security wise.
- Need to minimize tweak/troubleshoot time for gaming and/or work
- Currently am a Windows power user.
- Screen should be 16:10
- Screen needs to be 15 to 15.6 but 14 is somewhat acceptable
- Have a large USB hub with 10 ports that connects several other devices to laptop, and also charges them
For all these reasons,
For my distro, I thought it should be Fedora,
as it has a large group backing, and seems up to date, and one of the easier ones to use (plus ive seen it enough times in servers)
Plus it seems to have flatpacks, which seem to be a stable way of doing things
One of the other things Ive come across is the concept that, for new users looking for reliability, we should try to buy a linux device where the vendor has made/configured the hardware in such a fashion that it’s optimized and tested on linux. Plus they have their own tools and such
Thats why I thought I should go for Slimbook Executive 16 (cuz i can spec it for 1TB 32GB and get it imported to my country, and still be within my $2100 USD hard limit)
Is that a good idea?
Is my use case even feasible?
I expect there to be a transition pain, it would be the same for when i might be forced to witch to Windows 11. Might as well feel the pain on something better. But the goal is still to minimize the pain, by choosing the best option in distro plus laptop.
Which of my points are problematic?
Which of my points might require a workflow change?
Which of my points might require a different setup?
I am also aware that tech like bottles, proton and crossover exist, and their existence is part of what gave me HOPE to have my use case met. If any of is applicable, or actually even these things wont help, please let me know.
This was quite a ramble. I was just trying to give all the details upfront so as to minimize misunderstanding
I thank you all for your patience and help