Mid-Term help

Hey all i need help i have a GX 280 Dell I need help with the expansion possibility  for my midterm. I already know 4GB max DDR2 RAM but thats all i know.

There's a utility from crucial you can use, speccy would work as well.  

That only talks about memory and storage

It all depends on the specs of your machine.  What socket is the motherboard and is the case big enough to support a graphics card?  What exactly are you planning to do with your computer and what's your budget?

Download CPU-Z and tell us more specs.

CPU Pentium 4 530  3.00 GHz Socket 775LGA Prescott

Dell motherboard 0h7276  

chipset i915P/i915G

South bridge 82801FB (ICH6)

PCI-Express link with x16

DDR2 dual 4 slots (Max 4GB)

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE

No i'm doing a midterm about max upgrading PC no price range but its for gaming suposedly

3 expantion slots PCI-E 16x i think

I mean realistically you're looking at a rebuild... is this like a hypothetical thing for school?

yes hypothetical for a college midterm

Motherboard Specs

Manufacturer: Intel ( OEM for Dell Optiplex GX280)
Socket: LGA775
Expansion Slots: 3 PCI, 1X1 PCI Express, 1X16PCI Express
Chipset: Intel 915 Express
Supported CPUs: Intel Pentium 4, Celeron, Prescott Processors up to 3.2ghz
Other Features: Hyper-Threading Technology Support
Connectors: Printer Port, (6) USB 2.0 Ports, 1COMM Ports, 10/100/1000 LAN
Peripheral Interface: (2) Serial ATA (SATA) Interface
Other: One IDE Channel Supporting ATA-66/100/133 and Floppy Port
Video: 1X16 PCI Express Slot and Intel 900 Graphics Accelerator
Audio: Standard Sound Audio System
Supported Memory: DDR2
Maximum Memory: 4 Dual Channel DIMMSupport for up to 4 GB of memory

So to roundabouts answer your question... for gaming, you would obviously upgrade the GPU... PCI-E 3.0 GPUs are backwards compatible to 1.1, which is what the Intel 915 Express features... the max RAM speed for the mobo will be 2x2GB DDR2-533... make sure your GPU has a VGA output... it has 1-16x PCI-E so you can't Crossfire or SLI GPUs... make sure you have a PSU capable of powering whatever GPU you pick out... and I'm not sure what the bottlenecking point would be for that processor, but once you figure that out... you're all set... or somebody else can do more research... I was just looking at motherboard limitations vs current products...

So what parts would you recomend for maximum upgradation.

okay, now you're just being lazy... I gave you all the information you need to do the same thing I'd have to do :P

Search for what the max GPU will be to not bottleneck your processor/PCI-E slot... all PCI-E 3.0 GPUs will be compatible with PCI-E 1.1... I'd guess a GTX 750 will be bottlenecked a bit but maybe not horribly...

Search for DDR2-533 ram 2x4 GB

Your SATA extensions won't really support a SSD, so any HDD will work ... fill the case up with 2TB Seagate Barracudas

get a decent lowest wattage you can find with bronze efficiency PSU from Seasonic or XFX, and note in the report the higher quality Japanese capacitors...

add a Noctua NH-L9i CPU cooler if it's a small case... hyper 212 EVO if it isn't... judging from the mobo it is...

I know i'm a lazzy butt :) but... i was wondering will a NVIDEA 9400 GT bottleneck a intell570 3.8GHz (both work with a gx280)

fyi i don't know how to find out if the GPU will bottleneck the PSU

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html

PCI-E scaling on 1.1 - 3.0... not a big deal to a certain extent and these are the high end cards from a couple years ago...

It really depends on what we're drawing a line as "maxing out".... maxing out what? the mobo? the cpu? the socket?... I'll keep it at socket 775...

Upgrade CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650...

Upograde Mobo: ASUS P5G43T-M PRO

Upgrade GPU: Radeon 7850

Upgrade RAM: Kingston Hyper-X BLU 2x4GB DDR3-1333

Upgrade SATA ports: Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Upgrade PSU: Seasonic M12II 520w Bronze

Upgrade Case: BitFenix Ronin ATX Mid-Tower Case...

There... that's fully upgrade socket 775... blast from 10 years ago :P 

thanks {:P