This is my first PC build, I'm a big fan of the videos and all the help you all give here on the forums so I thought where better to ask than here. Trying to get my head around a lot of new terminology so bear with me if I ask a few dumb questions!
First of all, I'm from the UK, so I think a lot of these discounts and combo deals don't apply to me. I've done a lot of my searching for components through http://www.scan.co.uk/ because I've shopped there before and I have a friend that could perhaps get things at trade prices. For the purposes of all the prices below I'll include VAT.
My budget is around £400-£500 ($640-$800) although I would prefer to be at the lower end if anything. I'll be running a single 1920x1080 monitor. At the moment I play a few games like WoW and also flight simulator, but I'd like to be able to play Skyrim etc with at least medium-high settings.
I have a 750W PSU (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-cit-black-edition-120mm-silent-fan-atx-v22-3-psu) that I've scavenged from my old computer that I bought 2-3 years ago. That computer ended its days by what I thought may have been a GPU problem (it turned on but I had to run it using the integrated graphics) however I'm not sure - I could save some money by using the same PSU but is there a way to safely test it before putting it in this build? I know its not a well-known make, I think it might be the website's own brand.
Here is my prospective parts list so far, based on Intel/NVIDIA (just because I know a bit more about them!) :
- CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz - £176.58 ($282.52)
- CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev.2 - £4.98 ($7.96)
- Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G43 - £72.92 ($116.67)
- Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 650 Ti 1GB 5400MHz GDDR5 - £108-£120 (Not sure which one, $172.80-$192)
- RAM - Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel - £26.59 ($42.54)
- HDD - Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda, 500GB, 7200RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 16MB Cache, 8.5ms - £41.98 ($67.17)
- Case - CiT Vantage Type-R Gaming Case - £31.18 ($49.89)
- Optical Drive - Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE Black 18x SATA DVD ROM - £11.05 ($17.68)
Total = £473.28-£485.28 ($758-$777) depending on the GPU.
More questions! :
2) Is the i5-3570K necessary or should I get an i5-2500K for £10 cheaper?
3) Seems a little cheap for a CPU Cooler. I'll be getting the retail version of the CPU which comes with a fan, but I'll be looking to overclock so I'm guessing I definitely need a bigger CPU fan?
4) Which GPU would you recommend? I won't need to run crazy games on ultra ultra settings, but I'm unsure between the NVIDIA 650 Ti, 560Ti, and the Radeon 7850 because of the budget.
5) What are the main specs to look for once the overall type of GPU has been chosen? i.e. between brands, clock speed etc. I'm assuming I will be ok with 1GB.
6) Is it possible to scavenge a HDD from an old computer? If so, I might go for an SSD.
7) Does the parts list overall look compatible? Any way to trim down the price? Are certain parts way overpriced and could I do better?
Any answers, comments and suggestions are much appreciated!
P.S. - GBP to USD exchange rate is 1.6 at the moment ;)