Mid-Level PC Build

Hi All,

Planning to build my first PC, c. £1,000 all-in including 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Cooler Master Silencio 550. 500W Cooler Master elite power supply. Corsair Hydro H60. ASUS P8Z77-V with Intel core-i5 3570. 2x Corsair 8GB Vengeance Jet Black. KFA2 GeForce GT 610 MDTX4. 128GB Plextor M5S. 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

My main aim is being able to add things as I go along such as a blu ray drive and more storage but I don't want to need to upgrade the main components.

Will this selection work well together? Am I missing a cheaper and just as good (or better) alternatives in some cases? Computer to be used for work, windows 7 with at least 2 monitors (hence graphics card).

Thanks in advance.

Is this a gaming PC? Because, no matter what you use it for, that GTX 610 isn't going to worth its weight. It is anextremelyweak card; the minimum Kepler card I would get it a 650ti Boost, or a 560ti/480. I'm not sure what you mean by using a GTX 610 for multi-monitors; it couldn't handle a single monitor for anything. I would look into getting an AMD 6300 instead of the 3570k. The motherboards aer cheaper, generally, and will allow you to bump up the GPU. Pair that 6300 with a Gigabyte UD3 990fx, and bump that GPU up to, at least, a 7770, or hopefully a 7850, if you have the budget. Instead of a Corsair H60, which will perform terribly, get a good air cooler, like a Dark Knight II, or Phanteks PH-TC12DX. Replace that PSU with a Rosewill Capstone 550 M - better build quality, by far. As for the case, I would get a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2; looks great, cheap, and works well.

This will destroy that in games and has everything you whant (no idea why you whant two monitors but i got them in there)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/SNs7

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£125.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£91.06 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£57.98 @ Novatech)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.99 @ Ebuyer)

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)

Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Novatech)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£70.98 @ Aria PC)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.66 @ Amazon UK)

Monitor: ViewSonic VA2037m-LED 20.0" Monitor (£94.78 @ CCL Computers)

Monitor: ViewSonic VA2037m-LED 20.0" Monitor (£94.78 @ CCL Computers)

Keyboard: A4Tech G800V Wired Gaming Keyboard (£18.00 @ CCL Computers)

Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 3 Wired Optical Mouse (£31.00 @ Ebuyer)

Speakers: Logitech Z323 30W 2.1ch Speakers (£41.80 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £1009.43

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/SNzm

sorry wrong link:( http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/SNHs

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Looks like an AMD CPU and GIGABYTE board is the way to go.

I don't plan on gaming on the PC so won't need a huge GPU, just something that can handle several displays.

I agree with regards to the gtx610, it's just a waste of money.

The FX6300 is a good suggestion, it's a very good value, in terms of baseline performance an FX6300 system feels like an i5-3470, does better in some things, worse in others, but pretty much offers the same experience. And the FX6300 has very good overclocking potential and 95 TDP, so you don't have to go crazy on a CPU cooler. In fact, the new H60 2013 edition will be enough for a decent overclock on the FX6300, it doesn't run that hot, it's definitely a lot cooler than the FX8350. I would stay away from older H60's though, they are not good. I do prefer air coolers over prefilled systems because they offer much better value and long term reliability. For the price of an H60, you can get a top-tier tower cooler that will be quieter and will have better cooling performance for a bit more overclocking headroom. With a 20 % overclock, the FX6300 sits at the level of the i5-3570 at stock speeds in terms of allround computing experience, for only a third of the price, because even a cheap Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 mobo can perfectly overclock an FX6300, and has all the useful features of a 130+ USD z77 board, ande is also an Ultra Durable glassfiber PCB with Japanese high precision capacitors, BIOS fallback options, etc... The only thing it misses is a VRM MOS-FET heatsink, but that's a very easy fix, and if you get MOS-FET heatsinks from an electronics store, it's a very cheap fix also.

The minimum graphics card I think makes sense to invest in is the 7850 2GB with 2 fans. Just because it's 4k capable (which is coming rapidly, 4k monitors are starting to pop up for just over 1000 USD), it has good gaming performance in 1080p, it's not loud with two fans, it runs cool with two fans, even with the maximum default overclock, has a 256-bit memory bus, DDR5 memory with a base clock of 1450 MHz, and the default overclock brings the GPU to a clock speed of 1050 MHz, all of that while only needing one 6-pin PCI-E connector.

A system like that, with a 970 AMD chipset mobo, an AMD FX6300, a cooler like the Scythe Grand Kama Cross Rev B for instance, or the Arctic Cooling Freezer A30, 8 GB of dual channel 2133 MHz RAM, an AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB with 2 fans, and a nice case like the Fractal Designs Arc Midi R2, the Corsair R200 or if you want to go all enthusiast gaming style, something like a Cooler Master HAF-XM, is a very good mainstream gaming system that's for most users better value than a comparable Core i5 system, and it has the AMD benefit of being overclock-friendly, which is an ethusiast-experience bonus without the enthusiast pricetag.