Microsoft: Windows 10 is HERE ! [Quick Run-Down and Stuff to Know]

So Windows 10 is almost upon us. Windows Insiders have received the FINAL RTM Build numbered 10240 about two weeks ago. this is the build everyone will get on July 29th. allegedly there will be another build named 10400 but I can't find any source to confirm this. but anywho.. So far as a Windows Insider and from my testing. Everything is stable. there are Minor issues.. Not OS breaking like in the past.. there are a BUNCH of features missing. but the important stuff is there, like the Dark Theme, Cortana and Action center. which i will elaborate with as you continue reading this.

But to properly inform you.. [Sorry I don't have stuff on the Enterprise stuff]

If YOU ARE ON WINDOWS 7, or WINDOWS 8 or WINDOWS 8.1 [And you have an OFFICIAL LICENSE] AND IF YOU HAVE THE "HOME" EDITION..

• You will get Windows 10 "HOME" edition for Free Via Windows Update.
  • You will Lose Control of Windows Updates. they are now Mandatory on WIndows 10 for Home edition users. NO IF's ANDS or BUTS.. [But I just recently found out some hilarious news that shows Microsoft may Backtrack on this]

IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS 7 or WINDOWS 8 or WINDOWS 8.1 [AND YOU HAVE AN OFFICIAL LICENSE] AND IF YOU HAVE THE "PRO" EDITION OR "ULTIMATE" EDITION.

• You will get WIndows 10 "PRO" for Free
  • You will have TOTAL Control of Windows updates.
  • You'll get Hyper-V, Bitlocker, AAD, Domain/Policy control EDP containers and support for all those goodies

Here's a quick video i Found that shows some of the highlighted features.

HERE ARE SOMETHINGS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT ALREADY KNOW FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

• After Windows 10 is released if you buy a 7 inch tablet it will come with Windows 10 mobile OS which can be seen in Windows Phones. 8 Inch devices and ABOVE will get the Desktop.

• If you have a 7 inch device RIGHT NOW, however you WILL get the Desktop. after Windows 10. you will NOT be able to find a 7 inch device loaded with the Desktop version of Windows 10 on a 7 inch tablet.

• Intel has FINALLY released drivers to fix the non-sense with Atom based Processors and core processor Battery Drain on Windows.

• Windows Update on WIndows 10 DOES update your GPU Drivers for you.

• For those who care.. Windows Defender gets updated daily.

• Cortana is TURNED OFF by Default.

• Notifications Work flawlessly.

• From my Understanding "Candy Crush doesn't come with Windows 10" as many believed it would.. at least my RTM Build didn't come with it.

• Windows 10 takes funnily enough, around 10 GiBS of Storage.. [I installed Full Windows 10 Pro on my HP Stream 7 with that has 32GiB which really has 23GiB and Windows 10 took up around 10GiBS. i have 13GiBs left of storage.

• Control Panel is still HERE. I do think Microsoft is trying to rid of it. but they haven't finished doing so. if you try doing any basic functions like removing stuff it takes you to the Windows 10 settings application.

• MS Mobile Office apps like [Powerpoint, Word, Excel and OneNote] are free on the App store now. they are completed and have basic functionality that the general user may need.

• Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 Apps: they finally are functional on Windows 10, till the developers update them to be "Universal" apps. if you're like me who has a Windows tablet to use a Windows 8.1 app instead of using swipe gestures you will have to swipe from the top of the screen, slightly for the "Apps Commands" to work.

• There is a Feature for Mobile users [Laptop or Tablet] to turn off Wi-FI while on battery while the device is asleep to conserve battery. [there is a BUNCH of battery saving features in the settings app]

• Start Menu is back. [You can switch between the start screen or start menu you have the option to choose]

• Dark THEME: sadly it's not like Linux where you can have the dark theme on ALL of your desktop and everywhere on your system. Dark theme is here but it's built on to applications.. the developers choose if they want their app to have the dark theme or not. [Edge Browser has the Dark theme, if you care or bother to use it]

• MICROSOFT EDGE: is complete but is missing features.. you can't install extensions yet. so no adblock no nothing. it should be coming Soon.

• Windows HELLO is built in BUT it won't show up on your system unless you have an Intel REAL Sense camera. so future devices will probably start adopting it so people can use that feature. but right now one one can really use it.

• ALL PREVIOUS WINDOWS INSIDER BUILDS HAVE BEEN DEACTIVATED.. you need to be running the RTM Build. then again idk why you would want to continue running beta software when the final stable release is out..

• Here the Official licensing terms. to get a good understanding off all the license questions you may or may not have
    http://www.winbeta.org/news/here-are-straightforward-license-terms-eula-windows-10

#THE BAD NEWS and SLIGHT LULZ

• Nvidia users who own a 980ti CAN'T reserve their copy of Windows 10. for some reason nvidia hasn't updated some stuff so it won't allow people to reserve their copy. Logan can also confirm this on his twitter.

• There's a good chance, Microsoft may BACKTRACK on forced updates for Home Users. WHY YOU MAY ASK? well because Nvidia released some terrible drivers. Windows 10 home users have lost all control of Windows Updates. HOWEVER Windows 10 updates GPU drivers for you (Which sounds like a good idea right?) well nope.. Nvidia released a broken driver that causes terrible flickering on Windows 10. I'm not quite sure if you can uninstall it. and what makes matters worse is that no one knows what driver number it is because Windows Update doesn't tell you or Nvidia didn't bother to list it.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/27/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-10-forced-updates/
Source: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72088/20150727/windows-10-automatic-updates-mess-up-nvidia-drivers-what-to-know.htm
Source: http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/84977-microsoft-releases-windows-10-tool-hideblock-updates/

Nvidia doesn't know how to Windows 10 apparently..

• Of course Windows 10 loses all control of Windows update. Sad times but this may or may not change.

• a BUNCH of features are missing. but like Microsoft continues to reiterate "Windows is a Service" they will continue to update it as time goes on. Similar to how it is on Linux..

That's about it. more stuff to come as i look around.

That's all i believe you need to know. if you find anything post it here so we can inform each other.

UPDATES

For those who are running the RTM Build on their systems and you have nvidia.

here's a method to remove broken drivers on WIndows 10

Windows 10 How To: blocking the automatic reinstall of a driver or update in Windows 10

How to Enable System Dark Theme

There is no Option right now to enable the Dark theme from the Settings BUT! you can do a simple registry hack. [YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING] you add a DWORD to a registry a and then your system will look like THIS!

Press Start > click Run > type in regedit > Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Find Software > MIcrosoft > Windows > Themes > Personalize, Then go in right click, Add a new "DWORD (32-BIT) Value, Name it "AppsUseLightTheme" (Without quotations of course) and set the value to "0" after that sign out and Sign back in. BOOM your system is now black as night.

THERE WILL BE A DAY ONE PATCH WHICH WILL CONSIST OF 1GIB of Bug fixes.

Apparently there will be a day one patch. which will fix a BUNCH of minor issues to make Windows 10 more stable than it already is. for some reason there were actually some booting issues. that are going to be patched. and some minor tweaks.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/day-one-patch-windows-10-features-over-1gb-fixes-and-improvements

NVIDIA has released a NEW driver for Windows 10 that hotfixes the old drivers that almost broke peoples PCs. on WIndows 10 Home users PCs.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/nvidia-rolls-out-updated-geforce-drivers-windows-10-after-windows-update-fiasco

16 Likes

THANKS. THAT WAS PRETTY USEFUL

I know a few people that would be annoyed by the whole mandatory updates thing but they didn't shell out for Pro versions.

Everyone and their mother is upset with the Mandatory Updates. BUT considering like 70% + don't update their computers it may be for the best. I recently jumped on my Dad's PC. his computer still listed OneDrive as "SkyDrive" and he had about 2GiB worth of updates. it gave me a mean headache.

That bit about the 980ti... ffs seriously!?

Definitely getting a pro key from someone if they don't change the update crap too I NEED full control of my drivers thanks to my sound card or my whole pc will go down in flames.

Sad times. as far as I'm aware or at least from looking around it will be fixed soon.

Ah ! But you shouldn't need to have to update to the pro version in order to control driver updating. It should be a basic standard control on all versions

What about Ultimate N users?

I don't know anymore. Lol I'll probably end up creatively attaining a copy like I did last time.

1 Like

You'll get Windows 10 Pro edition. they are ridding of the "Ultimate" editions.

Perfect. I like the drivers-through-windows-update feature a lot. I can finally get rid of the program I use for that!

Spoken like someone that has never had MS break their windows install with bad updates.

2 Likes

I figured this question isn't worth creating a thread for and fits within this thread so I'll ask it here, is there any way to install windows 10 like you would say windows 7 or 8? just grab a download then enter a key once it's installed?

Well you can't get free .ISOs anymore. If you already have a Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you're supposed to get the Windows 10 Icon on you can reserve your copy. As for the issue you have with your 980ti. I think a fix will be coming soon. either from Microsoft's end or from Nvidia. but i think what you can do to remedy the situation is to remove your 980ti from your system and see if it will let you reserve your copy.

As for getting Windows 10 in the future, Microsoft is FINALLY going to release WIndows 10 copies via USB. so if you go to a store or buy from your Local E-Tailer. you can buy a Windows 10 USB installer drive.

The reason I asked about the free iso is my copy of Windows was... questionably attained.... so I can't do it directly i'll have to reinstall with a key which is a pain and the key I have I can't remember if it's for windows 7 ultimate or pro or if it's for windows 8 pro.
This transition is not going to be at all smooth for me.

Yeah it's an absolute mess sadly :/

It's listed on my Post. check the Hexus link.

1 Like

Wonder if they pulled the keylogger out of the rtm ? Don't think anyone has actually said much about it inwhile.

This is almost as bad, one of the reasons I won't be "upgrading". I thought Vista, 7 and 8 did way to much phoning home but 10 looks like its nothing but the NSA tool of 2015.

It's only for Windows Insiders no one should be complaining about it when they clearly signed up for it. As far as I'm aware it It will be removed on July 29th. on release day. there are also rumors stating that there will be another build on the 29th. named 10400 but i can't find anything on it saying it's true. as for the paranoia, this was done on Windows 7 Beta and Windows 8. and no one seemed to complain back then.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-rtm-build-10240-still-collects-data-from-your-pc-487230.shtml

NOPE. It's turned off by default.

Also it needs access to your location which once again is also turned off by default.

2 Likes