Microsoft will adjust malware-like upgrade policy for Windows 10

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/229182-microsoft-will-adjust-malware-like-upgrade-policy-for-windows-10-following-outcry

"Brad Chacos, the PC World editor
who first publicized these changes, wasn’t impressed with the new
change. “I don’t think that adding more pestering pop-ups improves the
situation,” Chacos told the BBC.” At the very least they should add a
large, obvious ‘No, I don’t want this’ button.”"

And this is the problem, no way to opt-out, no matter how big or often the notification is, if you can not just say no to it it is still being forced down your throat, they are just letting you delay it for a little while.....sad!

To top it off Microsoft removes the X "Close window" from the dialog, So you have to schedule an upgrade date or do it now.

The only way out is to play the upgrade roulette and then decline the Windows 10 EULA which roles you back to your current version and hopefully has not messed up your machine.

1 Like

Well of course they will change it now they have hit multiple rounds of these forced upgrades and basically have everyone they are gonna get by now.

This is the M$ equivalent fucking someone till that can't stand any more and then going a few more rounds for the fun of it only then saying "well we have had our fun guess you can go now."

Sure it is nice to be "free" for now but what is the point when there is nothing left anyway.

1 Like

You could also use Never10.
Much more convenient than playing upgrade roulette. No more pop-ups and no forced "upgrade".

1 Like

Well Windows 10 is no longer going to be free soon so of course they'll adjust it. They will legally have to. They can't force you to upgrade and then demand that you pay for it. It's akin to extortion. They'd get sued into oblivion.

1 Like

While I agree with you, I fully expect MS to extend the free Win X beyond the July cut off, I'm also sure they will say it is because the demand has been so overwhelming....we will see the end of next month.

1 Like

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 becomes free forever at some point. If Microsoft wants to establish themselves as a service provider then Windows 10 absolutely must be free. Otherwise they can kiss the idea goodbye. Especially now that more and more people are embracing mobile as their primary source of those services. Why would someone pay Microsoft $200 to get what they can get for free someplace else?

1 Like