Microsoft repo secretly installed on Raspbian

I wonder if the Reeee brigade those even more irrationally anti MS than I stop and consider that MS own GitHub, so even without this vs code repo, pretty much every git project installed on their pi /machine used to program it, already pings back to MS?
I suppose git projects are not installed by default, but not far off

9 Likes

That screenshot comment is funny considering the overwhelming majority of packages uses GitHub to host their code…

there ain’t no running from m$

about the OP and theme in general:

it’s ok, man, everything’s good

and vscode is still the best code editor I’ve used so it makes sense they wanted to make it easier to install

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. If the Raspberry Pi organization cares about user privacy they really should replace it with VS Codium or another fork that is under the GPL license

Geez I don’t get what this has to do with privacy.

The System pings the server for new versions, so what? It’s not submitting any usable info other then “there’s one more Raspberry Pi”.

Like WTF are people even talking about.

2 Likes

Everything you do inside VSCode get’s sent to Microsoft

It was never about privacy.

Privacy is being used as a scapegoat for general dislike of the company here.

5 Likes

Yeah so? Noone’s forcing you to install and/or use it?

This thread is about the repo being added, and nothing else. VS Code is not pre-installed.

I would still argue that’s bad, but then again I try to stay away from proprietary solutions as much as possible. And in my opinion including VSCode sends the wrong signal.

What was wrong with the user having to manually add the repo in the first place?

Not trying to be rude or anything but Microsoft even have a copy paste solution for this on the VSCode website

This was apparently difficult or cumbersome enough to warrant enough people to complain about wanting something easier. Hence the change.

The ethos of the pi has always been one of education via programming.

Having to learn underlying systems of linux on top of this would be another barrier to entry. They’re catering to the schools and students whom the hardware is built for, not just the freetards that use them to block ads on their home internet and run their 3D printers.

6 Likes

But now I know it’s there, I am free to choose one of the two other OS’s that work with the pi, Secure in the knowledge that Ubuntu had Always collided with the industry to compromise their roots.

1 Like

Got some news for you, there is a third.

https://www.oracle.com/linux/downloads/linux-arm-downloads.html

Installing items that ping a server without user knowledge is not necessary for this, they could simply do a notification to let the user know it’s being installed.

2 Likes

Including VSCode instead of VSCodium (or another tool for that matter) is not a barrier of entry issue, it’s a choice the Raspberry Pi Foundation made

lots of things arent necessary. This isnt about what is or isnt necessary, and never was. Its just people screaming into the void because they dont like something.

You’re echoing what I said in a different way.

1 Like

This really is a non-issue in the real world.
It is always freedom vs convenience. Learn to live without getting butt hurt about nuances.

Btw if you do not like a decision of a project, then submit a ticket with a better solution and be convincing. Lashing out on a 3rd party forum does not change the state of things.

1 Like

there was additional context to this quote

The company has other options than just installing things without user knowledge . It is not ‘screaming into the void’, it’s identifying a possible security flaw and violation of customer trust.

1 Like

wat

This is moot, you are not a customer since you didnt buy raspbian.

I get it, you dont like the thing they did… but lets stop pretending its because they didnt tell you about a change that got made and admit its because of the company in the subject matter that runs the repo.

Theres plenty of other distros that run well enough on the pi. Use them if updating sources from microsoft servers bugs you.

Or just comment out the “deb” line in the vscode.list file (or even remove the file).