Microsoft Purchases Bethesda

Olala, xbox/pc exclusives incoming?

5 Likes

On a side note, Microsoft has quite the portfolio now.

5 Likes

They bought Zenimax, the parent company of Bethesda, so they’re also getting Arkane, id, and Machine Games.

That’s a lot of media now in Microsoft’s portfolio.

3 Likes

Anyways, overall I’m not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand maybe it’s good to inject some money and resources into these studios.

On the other Microsoft isn’t known to have bug-free software at the moment.

Doom themed Microsoft Excel when?

9 Likes

I have no love for Microsoft, but they have not yet screwed over Minecraft owners, despite depreciating the Java version (then re-instating? Maybe?*) so not sure they will mess about with exclusives.
At least, I hope so.
But they were going to with Minecraft, which had a large playerbase, so I guess new IP from Zenimax would be fair game.
Shame, Fallout was fun despite BGS/Thoward.

*I just re-installed this weekend, using FTB, and it “just worked” so I don’t know if it is an older version, or they didn’t actually drop support like they were going to…

1 Like

I just realized that Obsidian and Bethesda are under one roof now.

It would be cool to get another Obsidian FNV.

6 Likes

:frowning: Less and less agnostic developers of triple A titles. (Everyone have a agenda against Steam)? I understand the studios fear of revenue flow. New IP is not easy to launch. GameStop closing is an existential problem and their board took Microsoft’s cloud generated currency.

@Trooper_ish Minecraft? What about Microsoft and their “managing” of Destiny/2 and stretched out Halo until its transluscent. Flight simulator is a different story (neglected for years and core/processor progression is nehalem tier) Maybe a DLC to unlock more core performances.

Finally Fallout Franchise could be in the hands of InIxile

I’ll take your word in that. I haven’t really played Halo, or any console game much since Goldeneye

Bungie split and did their own thing with Destiny. Microsoft passed the IP to 343 Studios.

2 Likes

All glory to Dream Eater just to make this happen.

1 Like

Oof. When your smooth sailing propaganda is derailed by those pesky facts.

I think I suffered cardiac arrest. Then it quickly went away after realizing even Halo is not exclusively on the Xbox console platform. So i’m not worried. As long as I can play on my PC, i’m happy.

If it was fucking Sony… Yeah. I think i’d put my head through a fucking wall.

They want Metal Gear Solid for themselves. Fuck off…

For PC gamers it’s probably a win.

3 Likes

The ceo and board of zenimax must have made a killing with this acquisition

Competition is great, and it warms my heart to see valve lose money.

1 Like

Naturally.

1 Like

They take the biggest cut from the devs. They’re also a singular DRM enforced platform. If you hate Sony Exclusives then you should hate Valve.

As much as I hate 1,000 little systray icons I want more releases from more vendors as well.

1 Like

Maybe i might get some flack from users here but i see this as a good move. Bethesda has been going downhill they need smacked back into shape and Microsoft has a good track record for good games so I’m hopeful.

5 Likes

Not from the True Americans™