Microsoft Office Alternatives

newest WINE release states it runs latest office so you might try it out

One of the software I was testing corrupted my Libre Office Writer ODT file. I should not have been testing on important files. Fortunately, Google Drive file versions let me roll back to a good version of the file.

Friends donā€™t let friends avoid backing up their files.

1 Like

What you could also try is WPS Office, itā€™s also pretty good. If you end up running MS Office in a VM I suggest using 2019LTSC itā€™s much easier to babysit and maintain. The Windows store isnā€™t even installedā€¦ :smiley:

The only problem is that particular version of windows,
isnā€™t publically available for the masses.

Some of the office suites that come to my mind.

• Libre office.
  • Free office.
  • Only office.
  • Wps office.
  • Open office.

i personally prefer Libre office as an open source alternative to MS office.

1 Like

I thought there was a paid software that was so close to office is was suprising that they didnā€™t get a lawsuit.

Iā€™m sure libreoffice is more than adequate itā€™s just the matter of becoming a daily user, and getting a few templates together.

@MisteryAngel apparently WPS Office is China Bases?? https://linuxhint.com/best_ms_office_alternatives_linux/

Might be idk, i have not looked at wps lately.
Because i just like to use Libre office pretty much.
itā€™s open source and it just does the job that i need it for.
My personal office needs arenĀ“t really that advanced.
i tried some of those listed office suites that came to my mind.
But in my opinion none of them can really hold a candle to MS office.
Still Libre office is a pretty good alternative and itĀ“s also cross platform.
But yeah for those who work with large spreadsheets that are made in MS excel specifically.
Itā€™s likely better to stick to MS office in that regards.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s true but I could share mine if the need is there

1 Like

I proposed this question to myself earlier this year when I finally nuked my Windows Install.

Iā€™ve grown really fond of LibreOffice. My biggest thing was that Writer and Calc were fine for my modest needs as document prep isnā€™t complicated - formatting etc. My Spreadsheets arenā€™t complicated - just typical budget calculations.

My biggest thing was how do I replace my precious Visio!!! Turns out Libre Draw is perfect for my needs (static diagrams/flow charts).

It took a little while but I am perfectly content with Libre Office. I still use Google Docs for a few things (collab work here and there). Else I have been very happy with the transition to free/open software.

The toughest part was weening off of a 15+ year Adobe addiction. Iā€™ve started using Blender for animation (instead of an old Flash). Inkscape for vector. A combination of Krita, GIMP, Pixelorama for raster and image edit. Shotwell & Darktable for pictures. Shotcut for video. Simplescreenrecorder to make videos.

Looking back I only used MS Office and Adobe suites because they were ā€œthe standardā€ but not necessarily because they fit my work flow. I made my work flow fit them. As I grew and transitioned to other media I was able to find software that fits my workflow.

Edit: For my primitive audio needs Iā€™ve always used Audacity (except many years ago when I needlessly used Sony SoundForge). Happily still on Audacity

1 Like

Has anyone tried to get hold the fonts from MS Office/Windows and put it into your Linux box if it would fix some degree of compatibility issues?

Where should I put fonts in my Manjaro install?

Back then I remember something like C:\Windows\Fonts folder that store fonts (you have to right click --> install font for it to work) Is there an analogous process or analogous folder for linux to work? I havent tinkered with its fonts yet since I transitioned to Linux few years ago.

I should do that; itā€™s harder in i3 (which iā€™m using) but I have added a few. I just google where to put them. From memory Gnome can add in the GUI if you open them (a la windows), but itā€™s been a while so donā€™t quote me.

Funny, I wondered for long why thereā€™s no project that makes use of RDP thin client magic on Linux hosts to let Windows software appear more native.

Thanks for sharing this :eyes:

Donā€™t quote me on that but I believe you can put them in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/$newfolder

You could also try to install a font and have a look if theyā€™ll appear in .local/share/fonts or somewhere along those lines

1 Like