Microsoft keeps growing

Microsoft reported their quarterly earnings and beat expectations.
They are currently in the top 3 most valuable companies in the world.

Microsoft beat analyst expectations in its quarterly earnings report, achieving $33.06 billion in revenue in the start of its first 2020 fiscal quarter (which ended September 30) compared to a projected $32.23 billion.

The company has been making great strides since Satya Nadella took over as CEO, shifting their focus to services, cloud and office, which now accounts for roughly 2/3rds of their revenue.

2 Likes

As a publically traded company, are they allowed to not grow?

I wonder if moving everything to *aaS is good in the long run. For small companies <50 people id say, there is some benefit to their model. However licensing users for larger companies becomes a financial nightmare.

I’ve noticed my employer and our vendors moving to free software (where possible) that offers support subscriptions based on necessity, not user count.

It’ll be interesting to see if this remains sustainable.

Doing pretty good for a company who makes an OS that nobody likes to pay for

That goes for the other two companies in the top three as well, I guess.

They did a solid job at forcing people to upgrade to the bloatware version of w10 as well… glad I’m using LTSC.

I guess that’s why. WIndows 10 End-User Licenses are just not a significant Factor for them anymore. That’s also why the moved to WIndows 10 with it’s “last Windows ever” thing, where you just buy the license once and are done, rather than buying a new one ever 2 years.
I can totally see them making WIndows 10 Free for private use, or give it to Office 365 Subscribers for Free (also private, not business 365).

The big money isn’t in the OS anymore. It’s all Services and “the cloud”.

1 Like

Exactly, which is why moving away from the Win 7 era business model was the correct decision, despite the outcry from the tech community who have little to no clue about business.

What usualy happens is large companies get heavy discounts that when you add in the savings costs for maintenance power and bc costs it can ( in many cases) make a lot of sense.

On a side note, as a result of these good earnings, and Amazon’s poor ones, Bill Gates is now once again the richest man on Earth. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They are taking steps to deal with that… Though for better or worse is to be seen yet.

It kinda is… I don’t know on the long run, but all you get from not activating it is not changing the wallpaper and cosmetic-customizations and the overlay text.

It’s just kinda “unnoficial” but stilll usable as far as I’ve seen it. They might launch some kind of stripped down free version though… without wsl and other fancy stuff maybe?

EDIT: Also I’m eager to see CoreOS built upon a new kernel.

1 Like

I don’t see the OP being portrayed in a negative light. I think he’s just stating that the company is growing. Despite the lies, deception, fear mongering, and hate spewed on this forum, Microsoft continues to absolutely dominate.

Good for them.

I’m sure it’ll come full circle, if history is any indication.

Just can’t stop winning.

Correct. Also, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

Glorious benevolence.

All part of the master plan.

3 Likes

More good news for Microsoft

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/26/773706177/pentagon-awards-10-billion-contract-to-microsoft-over-front-runner-amazon?t=1572119150415

2 Likes