Microsoft just released 60,000 patents?

If I was using ARM based transfer without going to Linux, I’d just get a Nexto DI for transferring footage.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159873-REG/nexto_di_nsb_25_cfsd_storage_bridge_nsb_25_modular.html

Yes, I know Gnarbox exists, but it’s first generation has no onboard LCD interface. You have to pair it via Wifi to configure it. Gnarbox 2.0 looks promising, but I’m weary of “Sign in to use all the features.” (and people hated that when Geforce Experience went compulsory login)

If you don’t want to install patent encumbered software that’s your choice to make.

Your other reason is a non issue.

Really? I actually have use cases for that such as being behind the Great Firewall of China and being monitored. I just want a read-only, unmodified image to transfer stuff from KNOWN code, without connecting to the internet to grab additional packages, allowing spying code to be injected as soon as I enter their network within the Great Wall.

If you’re saying, if even a dummy can make a custom image, I feel like I can trust actual MD5 hashed official images from known good sources better. Tacking onto that adds risk.

Last I tried FUSE’s exFAT implementation in 2014, it corrupted during transfer of important video. Never trusted it again for mission critical stuff, so I use FAT32 from now on with my current set of hardware. It is unfortunate though that even SSD recorders like @wendell’s Ninja Inferno only have exFAT as the macOS and Windows cross platform file format, whereas HFS+ doesn’t work on Windows, but DOES in read-only on Linux.

When I discovered exFAT and Linux don’t get along, that’s how I found out how screwed up SDXC and most all the SSD recorders are.

The CLOSEST thing you can get to a SSD recorder that records Ext4 is this “portable” x86 based recorder and monitor: (Just replace the OS with Linux)

http://www.cinemartin.com/next/

There’s also a HDMI version with the Intensity Pro 4K:

http://www.cinemartin.com/teo/

1 Like

ExFAT works fine with Linux. You know Linux packages are signed? China can’t modify them.

You can’t just I inject code into someone’s computer just by connecting it to a network. The Chinese aren’t the cylons.

When are you planning to go to China?

Already went in 2014. Already had this problem with my Ubuntu image lacking exFAT support. Already had corrupted footage.

I was fired over corrupted footage, so I take that EXTREMELY seriously. I have to go into things with 100% assurance it works right 1st time, everytime.

FUSE exFAT didn’t.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t trust any software for an important project. Hardware backup can be used if it’s extremely important. I’d probably look at either saving to two SD cards on camera or via a device if all I had was a windows or Linux machine for editing etc. Windows has its own issues.

2014 Linux is very different from 2018 Linux though. ExFAT is generally very good. But if for 100% assurance you need hardware that will insure your work if it goes wrong. (A camera system that does dual SD for example with commercial world wide support for file recovery and hardware issues for example is what you need for that kind of assurance. Or pay the exfat developers a boat load of money and they’ll make it bulletproof and give you the support you need)

Bulletproof is that Nexto DI device I just mentioned. It’s internet capabilities are optional, whereas the Gnarbox might actually need to phone home to sync settings tied to an account.

But it’s really a damn shame I can’t make a exFAT ingest machine with vanilla Linux and have to resort to this additional package installation each time. And more and more video devices use exFAT.

A live cd is really inefficient, uses old buggy software anyway. You’d be better off on a price of hardware. If your really wanted put it on a vm. Linux security is good the Chinese aren’t going to compromise it if you haven’t weakened security settings. Get centos and install it with a DISA profile for example.

Waiting for FSF to respond to this. I heard they were wanting MS to release their patents other than joining the program.

At that time, I was able to setup a SSH tunnel back to my DD-WRT WNDR3700 home router in Canada to browse unfiltered, but the first few days I couldn’t even access the outside at all because it was the same time MH370 disappeared, sucking up ALL the outside world into China bandwidth. It calmed down a few weeks later.

I would only setup CentOS if it had Cinnamon DE if I had to make a trip soon.

Also, my reason for concern was Ubuntu Kylin, a image designed for “Chinese” users is being offered straight from Ubuntu, and who knows about the security of the base OS if Kylin exists?

Positively I expect. And move forward in that direction RMS generally likes regardless of who it is.

The FSF has already responded: https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-statement-on-microsoft-joining-the-open-invention-network

The key points are

1. Make a clear, unambiguous statement that it has ceased all patent infringement claims on the use of Linux in Android.

2. Work within OIN to expand the definition of what it calls the “Linux System” so that the list of packages protected from patents actually includes everything found in a GNU/Linux system. This means, for example, removing the current arbitrary and very intentional exclusions for packages in the area of multimedia – one of the primary patent minefields for free software. We suggest that this definition include every package in Debian’s default public package repository.

3. Use the past patent royalties extorted from free software to fund the effective abolition of all patents covering ideas in software. This can be done by supporting grassroots efforts like the FSF’s End Software Patents campaign, or by Microsoft directly urging the US Congress to pass legislation excluding software from the effects of patents, or both. Without this, the threats can come back with a future leadership change at Microsoft, or with changes in OIN’s own corporate structure and licensing arrangements. This is also the best way for Microsoft to show that it does not intend to use patents as a weapon against any free software, beyond just that free software which is part of OIN’s specific list.

3 Likes

Point 2 is basically targeting exFAT. I hope FSF is actually able to do something about that, maybe even open sourcing it, and letting the community make a version 2.0 with journaling, that the SD card association would then adopt.

Point 3, while I agree with it… I think the FSF should really get their head out of their ass if they think MS is actually going to comply to it.

2 Likes

exFAT will never have jounaling.

Its just 64bit FAT, as FAT has a cap of 4 GiB (32bit) for an individual file size.

FAT is terrible and really shouldn’t be used anyway. Not sure why people gush about exFAT.

1 Like

They gush about it cause SSD recorder and camcorder companies know HFS+ has Apple licensing fees, cause they want to please Windows users of their recorders, despite recording APPLE ProRes.

Seriously, HFS+ with journalling means less risk of data corruption, but Windows can’t read it, BUT LINUX CAN.

We’re at a state where all the SSD recorders on the market are not ideal, cause they use Apple ProRes by default and there is no true Apple licensed QC passable encoder for Windows that integrates directly with Premiere. So you cannot stay 100% in ProRes on Windows. DNxHD/DNxHR is good, but 10bit recording only has ONE bitrate per resolution.

Not to mention, the best and most popular ones on the market, from Atomos, only use .MOV container, yet another APPLE container. AJA has a .MXF format recorder, but can’t do 4K 60p in MXF… Plus Proprietary SSDs… Grrrrrrrrr…

Lunduke sets down the champagne, noisemakers and confetti and has a hard look at what Microsoft has actually done … and more importantly, what they have not done.

2 Likes

3 things are predictable:
Bacteria
Microsoft
ex wives

3 Likes

I really can’t stand him anymore.

2 Likes

I like the time clip is just conspiracies.

The negativity is just saddening