Microsoft Joins Linux Foundation as Platinum Member

https://connectevent.microsoft.com/

I didn't write this post but it holds some solid points/questions on the situation.

I'm surprised at how rapidly people are embracing Microsoft this year. "It's different now," and "this is a new microsoft" is the kind of thing I hear everyday. How is this not embrace extend extinguish? They are slowly making their platform easier and easier to go to, and suspiciously integrating open source systems into their platform. I don't see Microsoft doing any of this out of goodwill but just another way to choke out the competition. Although this time the strategy is not to kill the competition by choking them out, but buying them out.

Do people forget about the mass amounts of telemetry collected by windows 10? How is this not vendor lock-in? I am fine with them doing this, since they are a corporation and this is clearly better business for them. What I don't understand is the hordes of developers rolling over Microsoft and vowing their business to them for a lifetime.'

Do people not realize that Microsoft has a strong economic incentive to see Linux fail? (Pardon the language) But it blows my fucking mind that anything good can ever come out of this. Google - for example - has no incentive to see Linux fall. They are indifferent to which OS users run. Amazon - they have an incentive to see Linux succeed, open-source OS allow them to sell cheaper VPSes. But Microsoft? MS hurts everytime Linux succeeds. A Raspberry pi that could be running Embedded Windows. A desktop with ubuntu that could have had Windows 10. A Redhat server that could have had Windows Server 2016. Why would Microsoft benefit from the success of Linux? They want people on their platform, on their system, with their software, paying them. The strategy now seems to be slowly buying out your competition and shoving the competing software into your system.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welp. That just happened