Microsoft: Announces Surface 3 [Non-Pro Version]

Since the massive failure that is Windows RT, Microsoft wishes to redeem themselves and "Challenge" the tablet market once again..

Microsoft Announces the Surface 3.

The Specifications are as follows.

• Screen: 10.8in display running at 1920x1280 (3:2) (214 PPI) (10-Point multi-touch)

• Processor: Intel Atom X7-Z8700 processor (Cherry Trail) (2MB cache, 1.6 GHz with Intel Burst™ technology up to 2.4 GHz)

• RAM: 2GB and 4GB RAM configurations

• Storage: 64GB, 128GB

• Cameras: 3.5 megapixel 1080p front-facing camera and 8.0 megapixel 1080p rear-facing camera with auto-focus

• Battery: Up to 10 hours of video-playback battery life and a 13W Battery

• Power Supply: connects vias Micro USB, No Magsafe like charger or USB type-c

• Wi-FI (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 4.0 low energy

• Ports: - USB 3.0 x 1 Mini DisplayPort x 1, micro SD card reader, Headphone jack

• Audio: Stereo speakers with Dolby® Audio-enhanced sound

• Sensors: Ambient light, Proximity, Accelerometer, Gyroscope,
    Magnetometer and Digital compass

• Size & Weight: 10.51 x 7.36 x 0.34 inches (267 x 187 x 8.7
    millimeters), 1.37 pounds (622 grams)

• Kickstand: 3 positions available hinge, no Full hinge like the Surface Pro 3.

• Connectivity: LTE Model Only: GPS, Assisted GPS and GLONASS

The Stylus Features are exactly the same as the Pro 3, with a N-Trig Digitizer, 256 Sensing Points.

Oh and you get a free Subscription to Office 365 for one full year [Still pretty dumb in my honest opinion but it's good to have]

There are TWO minor gripes that i would like to mention, the Type cover and Stylus are Sold Separately :/

Full Price is $499 for Base Model, $599 for the LTE model.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/31/8317597/microsoft-surface-3-tablet-features

Source:

I want one so bad. Too bad I just got the Venue 11 Pro. I wonder how well linux would run on it. I want to have a machine that I regularly use running linux, but the venue 11 does not play well with it. Oh well.

@Ethereal
It will probably run Linux amazingly.

People have had awesome success running Linux on Surface Devices, and for the most part, All of the Linux BIOS/UEFI or whatever have all been 64 bit as well, installing linux will be a breeze. the issue that always arises is optimizing the Distro to recognize that you are using a tablet. which is always a pain in the ass. but what i think is pretty interesting is that if one were to purchase the highest end Surface 3 [Non-LTE] model with the keyboard and pen, it will be almost the same price as a low-end Surface Pro 3. and when it comes to performance I can speak for the Atom Processors they are amazing for general use. what kills it though is the 2GB of RAM. BUT at least there is finally a 4GB RAM option with these Atom chips now which is nice.

2 Likes

I may pick one of these up just for the nice note taking ability of the pen.

The fact that they are calling it the Surface 3, makes me think that the Surface Pro 4 is not coming out anytime soon.

Would have love to see a USB-C instead for charging and data port

It would of been nice, but USB type C isn't a standard yet, you would probably have to pay $50 bucks for an adapter. Which would in a way future proof the device, but make it absolutely stupid right now. Considering there arent many out on the market.

bet they'll price it higher... they've told that that surface (1st one) will be for 400-500$ with i5 cpu... it even scared the sh*t out of google... and they've sold their chromebooks for 199$ after ms announced it.

(bet, they'll ask for 100$ for keyboard, 4GB of ram + 100$, 128GB +150$ etc, you get my point)