Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10

Windows 10 is most definitely not Unix; where on earth have you seen information that it is? The NT Kernel is still at the heart of all current Windows desktop/server versions. This will be the same for most Azure VM host servers, just a heavily customised version of it.

Give GNU/Linux community a port of Office and I think that will win some minds. Sure LibreOffice is good, but some corporations will only touch MS Office. It would give me a great reason to finally fully transition to Manjaro.

Canonical, put that on the table.

2 Likes

What is up with Canonical, first the Amazon search and now teaming up with MS? So glad I moved my home servers to CentOS and use Arch for my desktop/laptop.

1 Like

LOL, get it, WIN some minds? No? OK I will stop :P

1 Like

Yes, that would be fucking awesome!

The Red Hat Way ! Arch is great, If I could ever install it :/ I'm still a noob :)

Arch is pretty neat... but, it's way too much work for even the average linux user.
My latest distro is Debian.

This is sad news for ubuntu. I haven't liked it since unity.

8 Likes

I agree Arch takes a lot of time to set up. Only reason I set it up was my plans for a weekend were ruined and I was bored. Figured I'd learn and get my laptop up to speed.

A good Arch distro is Antergos. I've used that before and it works great! Just don't select the "proprietary GPU Drivers" during install. That borked my first install from the get go.

Try Antergos, it's based on Arch and far more newb friendly.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Win X inside Ubuntu would be great :D :P

The opposite has already been done. This is the opposite of the opposite.

This thing is actually an API reimplementation that allows Linux binaries to run on Windows. Sound familiar? This is Wine but the other way around. "Windows 10 on Ubuntu" has existed since Windows 10 came out, because running Wine is exactly the same method as what this uses.

Not what I was expecting at all. When they started the demo I thought it was just cygwin with a weird filesystem abstraction thing going on.

1 Like

I'm on Fedora 23 and love it. I do want to run Arch in a VM though...

1 Like

so still pretty new on a lot of Linux, any news on how this might affect KDE mint? Being an Ubuntu fork, has me a bit concerned.

from the looks of it all it's pretty much a LXD partnership. Microsoft is wanting to go away from VM's and running Containers instead. They are apparently more efficient and lower on resources allowing for more containers to be deployed. But that is only the start of it all...

@Miguel_Sensacion @eidolonFIRE I get what you're saying, but with the Antergos installer, arch is just as easy as Debian or Linux Mint.

Windows program compatibility or the windows ui or what? I'm not sure what part of windows would be awesome to have.

In a container...

1 Like

They'll give back to the community by killing off Windows Server.

This has to be an April fools joke in the making and it just caught on early. On April 1st they're going to be like "lol guys jk" and everyone will be bummed out but I'll be here like ha

3 Likes

I made an Arch vm a few days ago. I've been DE hopping because none of these software render-only DEs work good. So far Mate and Cinnamon work the best. Gnome is the worst for performance.